VeLa Longview - 220 East Morgan St - Marbles Parking lot

I’m getting 80’s “futuristic” design vibes from this but it would be very different

1 Like

For some reason, the RHDC (why are they involved here?) is recommending capping the height at 12 floors. Seems very arbitrary?

This isn’t in a historic district, right? And is just a parking lot so no existing historic elements?

2 Likes

It looks like they answer all of your questions in the PDF you attached.

They also talk about how existing buildings are zoned for 3- to 7- stories, and they’re pushing for this building to not be much taller than others around it.

It’s directly on the New Bern BRT line and future citizen needs should take priority. Historically Raleigh was a tiny town, it’s a huge city now. Rome isn’t a museum as far as I know.

9 Likes

My only hope is that this building is extremely modern looking and unique like the museum

3 Likes

Funny you should say that: Rome’s been struggling to expand their subways because they keep running into historic artifacts every time they dig. It’s a running gag at this point.

But to @Jacobirving1’s point, does it matter if the building’s only zoned for 12 stories rather than 20? As long as the building can be consistently occupied by decent companies and isn’t a pain to look at, I don’t see why the historic commission’s compromise is a problem.

3 Likes

Every time you walked into a subway station, there were shelves of glass cases of Roman artifacts found where the station and surrounding track was built.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the point. They discover, document, remove what they can and then continue digging out the metro.

It’s weird that the Historic Commission is getting involved with building heights for buildings not on an historic site. Because it’s near historic sites seems a poor reason for them to shoehorn involvement. But I get it, shadows are the real enemies.

11 Likes

Historic sights that no one will see in the next 30 years lmao

1 Like

If Rome were a museum there would be much better bathrooms!
Raleigh’s limited historical buildings makes protecting them all the more important.
That said, I don’t see where this block makes much if any historical difference. Unless we are worried about the dreaded shadows!!! ( :ghost: :skull_and_crossbones:

4 Likes

Yea that was more a commentary than a question. I don’t think being next to a historic district should have the same restrictions as being IN the historic district.

1 Like

Looks like they may be trying to get up to around 30 stories now…

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/02/09/raleigh-40-story-zoning-parking-lot-marbles-museum.html

“But those plans appear to have changed, as documents with the city’s Planning Commission show the request now calls for a rezoning of DX-40 (Downtown Mixed-use up to 40 stories) but with conditions to limit the height to 30 stories. Conditions also cap any office space at no more than 150,000 square feet.”

13 Likes

I just don’t understand what valid issues the Historic commission has with a parking lot that features zero historic structures that just happens to be near some historic districts/properties. This rezoning would have zero effect on those properties. If they wanted to level a 100 year old historic structure to sell the land off, then I’d have a problem- but as it stands, what difference does 12 stories (the limit they suggest) have vs 30 stories on a surface parking lot? I can’t seem to think of any, if a building of any height is going there regardless. I say bring it on. How amazing would it be if a developer partnered with Marbles to allow the ground floor of whatever is built be designated as museum expansion??

10 Likes

Agreed. This also seems oddly inconsistent. When I pull up a map of all the historic overlays, I get this.

Off the top of my head, where were they when 121 Fayetteville was rezoned? 301 Hillsborough? Help me out, I’m missing a few more I’m sure.

Oakwood influence perhaps?

10 Likes

This would be a much better expansion than their previous (current?) plans to construct a new addition in the courtyard.

2 Likes

I’m thinking BINGO on the Oakwood influence. Those pesky shadows!!! :rofl:

6 Likes

Nice! East Downtown Raleigh rise up! Literally…

3 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/04/07/raleigh-approves-40-stories-near-marbles-museum.html

City Council voted unanimously to approve a rezoning request to change the zoning designation of 220 E. Morgan Street from commercial mixed-use up to seven stories to a commercial mixed-use up to 40 stories with conditions limiting development height to 30 stories.

19 Likes

“The Raleigh Historic Development Commission has also weighed in despite the property not containing any historical structures or being situated in a historical district. The commission detailed its thoughts in a memo late last year recommending approval on the condition that heights be limited to 12 stories for the site”

How bizarre and annoying… Anyways, glad to see it got approved for 30 stories. I think that might be a first for downtown, instead of the 20 or 40 limits. I know there had been discussion in the CC about whether to create a new zoning for 30. Approving for 40 with a condition of 30 seems like an effective method.

14 Likes