301 Hillsborough / Raleigh Crossing

I call it the BB&T tower. Idk :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hillsbourgh St was the original ‘best address’ because if you had malaria in Raleigh you went to Hillsborough to try and ride it out and only rich people were able to go to higher ground to try and get well. At this point I just want/wanted the remaining old houses left, moved over to Blount St (became a competing best address after the civil war) and let Hillsborough become an active retail strip.
RE the Capitol Building, it is or course Raleigh’s second (first was brick and burned down while having a fire proof roof installed ironically). All the stone for it came from the Quarry off (also now under) Rock Quarry Rd about where the National Cemetery is and is one of just a very few Greek Revival Capitols. They were dark and dingy, no doubt, and other States built new ones perhaps for that reason (Kentucky, Iowa and Illinois all stopped using their Greek Revival Capitol Buildings). The most important view in my opinion is standing in the middle of Fayetteville and seeing Memorial in one direction and the Capitol in the other. The Hillsborough St view seems sad and irrelevant without all the mansions flanking it.

8 Likes

The Hillsborough Street view of the Capitol building is blocked primarily by one tree that has overgrown and leans over in front of the building. If that one tree was removed then you could see the columns of the building from Hillsborough and that would make the building look a little grander. I look at it daily from the Hillsborough side and complain about that tree to my friends all the time. Of course they’ll never remove it but it would help a lot and there are a lot of big trees on the grounds that do not block the view. You can see the building better in the winter with the leaves off the tree.

1 Like

There’s is also a very large statue placed, very intentionally, right in that frame too.

4 Likes

Exactly @John. Can they go back and reopen the UDO?
@GucciLittlePig you might consider it lackluster, but it is still considered significant for its unaltered Greek Revival design. And, its the only one we’ve got.
Agreed @Mark, I for one am ready to move it and reopen the view, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Any number of states added on to their capitols, but NC was to poor to do anything. Thus we have one of the few unaltered capitols around.
This isn’t that complicated, just don’t bury one of our few vistas and our best public building in a canyon of high rises. There is room for both.

New article on TBJ. Fallon company will start phase 2 in 2020 :raised_hands:.

5 Likes

Says they are building two additional towers in Phase two, we could see 2 maybe 3 cranes at this site at once.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/08/28/fallon-company-eyes-2020-start-date-for-second.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline
““I think we’ll get started on the next phases very soon after the groundbreaking,” Fallon says.”

1 Like

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/08/28/fallon-company-eyes-2020-start-date-for-second.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

Sounds like they are going to be aggressive in expanding in area. Maybe taking a page from Kane’s play book?

Some highlights
Start on the first tower in September
start on the next phases soon after starting phase 1
looking to make more Triangle investments
mention they often self-fund projects so can be more flexible.

8 Likes

Yes, that is a highlight - regarding larger proportions of equity funding: "That also allows us to take different types of risk that have, maybe, longer time horizons.” Hopefully this project is more recession proof than it seems.

4 Likes

The more we can get out of the ground, sooner rather than later, is a good thing!

5 Likes

Fallon, a Boston developer new to this market, is about to break ground on their project 18 months after purchasing the parcel. Meanwhile, developers with deep roots in Raleigh cannot get projects off the drawing board. We have a clone of Kane in our presence. A vey welcome addition.

10 Likes

Clearly, it sometimes takes an outsider’s perspective to understand the opportunity. I welcome the infusion of new blood!

1 Like

Is there a specific breaking ground date in September? Also, how far in advance will they announce lane closures, similar to the FNB tower Wilmington st lane closure. I’d really like to know if Dawson st is getting a lane closed in the near future. Also there is utility work going on almost daily on Dawson with lane closures a bit further down, across from the old Firestone. Is that related to 301 at all?

19 posts were split to a new topic: Capitol Square Monuments

C’est la vie

12 Likes

We’re sure going to miss those surface lots.

5 Likes

Looking at that nice view of the state capitol that 301 Hillsborough is gonna block :grin:

6 Likes

It’s starting!!

30 Likes

Wow that was fast! Glad this is finally starting!

3 Likes

Drove by this morning and noticed a big tent on this site… Looks like they might be having some kind of groundbreaking ceremony or something along those lines…

12 Likes