301 Hillsborough / Raleigh Crossing

Looking at the image higher up in the thread, they will have three driveway entrances, somewhat close together; a loading dock, entrance to the parking deck, then another loading dock. It sounds to me they are looking for variances for those driveway widths, most likely to allow more traffic in; ie wider, 2 truck docks instead of a single vehicle dock, as well as a variance to how close the driveways are from each other. Lastly they need a variance to allow the loading docks to function; vehicles need to be able to legally back in to the dock driveway or back out of the driveway on to the street.

Opps and on hillsborough one of those pull up driveways that you donā€™t like that you described. :joy:

@OakCityDylan I doubt this would delay their project much unless they do not approve the driveway portion. If they have to relocate the loading docks, they would have to draw up new plans. I would be surprised if the driveway thing is an issue at all. The rest of the stuff sounds like aesthetic details (pavers as opposed to cut concrete).

The parapet variance is interesting though. Are they trying to steal an extra 6ā€™ of height for free, or is there a legitimate reason for 18ā€™ parapet wall? :thinking:

2 Likes

It kind of seems like they have a major tenant lined up with very specific desires or requirements for access. But maybe Iā€™m reading too much into it.

1 Like

Car dependency has become something everyone shrugs off. Its cool to complain about it but not ok to question the things that cause it or coddle it(check the Raleigh subreddit if you think that is BS). Density amplifies car dependency problems when that density kowtows completely to cars. Whether you think its funny or not, both scenarios are more cars crossing the sidewalk and is a problem for pedestrians. Not sure how overboard these variances make things but I am just thinking it overā€¦its too bad a little laugh emoji is what I get for considering real problems. Note, I have been hit by cars while walking and riding a bike and I was 100% legal with my movements both times, so, ya know, I think about this shiz a lot.

4 Likes

IIRC, there is a hotel component to this complex. If that is the case, there needs to be an access point for drop off from the airport, taxi or uber etc. Or should folks walk/bike from the airport to DTR?

That said, the drop off could be done better, without crossing over sidewalk.

1 Like

There is transit that comes from the airport right now. Its not a huge difference in travel time vs an uber to this location - since itā€™s door to door. Take it often as a back up option if I miss Route 105 and the Route 100 is a very viable transportation option to the airport if you live or are on the corridor. I understand the current constraints as far as our transpo system being car centric (believe me, haha!) but also wanted to emphasize that excessive curb cuts / loading zones are detrimental to people oriented mobility. Iā€™m working closely on trying to implement tier one bike facilities in our downtown core right now and curb cuts and loading zones that folks have come to think of as their right (ie access and control of curb space), is without a doubt the largest hurtle to implementation.

5 Likes

While I can understand where you are coming from, cars could just block traffic on hillsborough to drop off, whether thatā€™s a taxi or a bus.

As for loading zones and loading docks, they are a necessity. If you like sparkling office spaces, there must be a means to unload and bring that sparkle up to the 25th floor. Oh and a lot of that sparkle is 1000s of pounds of materials that have to be transported, which means humans have to physically transport from a vehicle to the building, numerous trips carrying 100ā€™s of pounds per trip. Anyway, I know you arenā€™t talking about eliminating loading zones all together, I just want to make a point just how necessary they are (and how necessary it is for large vehicles to be able to access buildings with minimal walking distance).

3 Likes

Fair point that Iā€™d forgotten about. Thanks

There is activity on the site of 301 Hillsborough. Drilling for soil samples perhaps?
Not the best pic, I know. Took it from inside my car while stopped at a traffic signal on Hillsborough St.

13 Likes

Theyā€™ve drilled for soil samples there previously. This could easily be just going back for more, but Iā€™m hopeful it at least means itā€™s moving along.

Maybe putting in a fence? But the drill seems a bit big for that? :thinking:

I think soil testing. Looking at picture they have already gone way deeper than any fence will need and have 2 to, guessing, 20ft drill pipe extensions. If soil tested before maybe needed to come back for more data. Um pipe dream (pun) need to see if can support a much bigger building.

3 Likes

https://imgur.com/a/RdQS1mr

301 ā€œconstructionā€ update.
Sorry if the photos are junky, my camera was dead when I got there

4 Likes

Better than my foggy Phoneā€¦:slightly_smiling_face::iphone:

1 Like

301 Hillsborough in 3rd Site Review for 250 feet .

9 Likes

1 more inch taller and the traffic would be unbearable. :thinking:

16 Likes

When they are done, can we go and superglue something to the top of the building to make it an inch taller to see if the World will end?

14 Likes

Anyone know where this development is with permits? Start date?

1 Like

It is still in the site review process.

2 Likes

Thanks Alan, I thought it was beyond site review.

Looks like this project moved 1 step closer to construction according to the Wire.
Moved to Approved with Conditions Pending Appeal (CAPA) 8-31-19.
I canā€™t remember if this building is being moved or completely demolished.

2 Likes