301 Hillsborough / Raleigh Crossing

Site plan says demolished but I wonder how much of this happens with Phase 1 or if there is time to change it.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s the construction office during Phase 1, so Iā€™d think itā€™ll be around for awhile

2 Likes

Iā€™d hope moved, but doubt it. Property records say this house was built in 1900.

How often are brick structures like this even moved? The only houses Iā€™ve seen moved have had wood siding. Iā€™d think brick would pose additional challenges.

Itā€™s definitely more time consuming and difficult to pull off, but Iā€™ve seen it done.

10 Likes

Beautiful building, over 100 years old, in great conditionā€¦ and planned to be demolished. Itā€™s almost sickening how little the city and its developers care about historic structures that truly give Raleigh its character. City Council cares so much about height restrictions on new developments, but couldnā€™t have put a requirement to save or at least move the building when this was proposed? This isnā€™t news to me, but it pisses me off anytime its brought up.

3 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Historic Preservation in Raleigh. What to keep?

Saw this yesterday at the 301 Hillsborough lot. Guess that means they are actually starting soon?!

IMG_0427 2.jpeg

28 Likes

24 Likes

I believe it when I see it. :construction::building_construction::construction_worker_man::construction_worker_woman:

7 Likes

This is money talking. That lot generates money every single day and they are closing itā€¦right before a weekend in downtown Raleigh?! Oh, I expect to see something tomorrow tomorrow.

2 Likes

Tomorrow isnā€™t the 31stā€¦Did something go over my head?

1 Like

Right, sign says Aug 31.

3 Likes

:rofl: thanks, I see the small print now. Exciting nevertheless,

3 Likes

At any rate, shutting down that lot is shutting of a cash flow so this is pretty much 100% construction will start next month.

1 Like

I got a boot there while at the flying saucer once. Still mad at that parking lot lolā€¦good riddance! :grin::money_with_wings:

2 Likes

Will this be the last major project to start construction this year? I believe thereā€™s at least 3 slated to begin early 2020.

4 Likes

Hicks Mansion. Built in 1912. It did replace an older large house on the site. Goodnight Raleigh has pics of when it had its original classical columns.

Cool! Thanks for the scoop. Welcome to forum, Robbie!

1 Like

Just to confirm is the development going on the parking lot across from the flying saucer or are they tearing the whole flying saucer down?

Parking lot next to flying saucer. It will not be torn down.

3 Likes