301 Hillsborough / Raleigh Crossing

I don’t mind it so much since this building doesn’t really have a back. It’s pretty much exposed to everything. I prefer the other rendering (the one with the green) to the brown one you depicted. It’s slightly less worse.

I agree this looks bad but it seems to me developers need to come up with innovative ways to hide parking. You simply cannot put ground floor retail in every project as there just is not a need for endless retail space.

3 Likes

If the project conforms to the UDO, the only thing stopping the bad is the city itself because we have no voice as residents on such projects.

C’mon, no one can tell me what this means? Lol…

1 Like

I can wildly speculate but I don’t know for sure. When the city finds a problem with something the developer has done in the initial plans the developer submits alternate plans that satisfy the conditions the city has.

Blank walls, landscaping…am I missing anything we can hide all these cars with? Above and below ground still require ingress and egress so those holes will be there still. I think Raleigh is hugely lacking in ground floor retail downtown and is nowhere near having enough to make the downtown ‘livable’. Like, not even 10% of the way there. Maybe we could wrap parking with office space so office workers could exit right out of their cars to their cube. Bottom line is the love affair with large buildings entails some ‘gives’ that come with the ‘takes’. It’s nearly impossible to have large scale buildings and their needs met everywhere and still have the nice quaint, pedestrian friendly streetscape. The buildings are the streetscape primarily and the tradeoffs as you increase the size are what they are and harder mitigate as you get bigger and bigger.

Plans will be submitted soon for 301 Hillsborough St . Probably in June !

17 Likes

Awesome news Dwight, thank you!

Now, remind me again, is this being Re-submitted? Or just Re-re-re-submitted? :grin::upside_down_face::wink:

4 Likes

It’s going to be a just a few feet higher than the limit I’m sure there’s months of refiling paperwork for these extra feet!

3 Likes

…or shorter? Lol :wink:

1 Like

Could it be Phase 2, maybe?

Have we already noted their AAD submittal from last week on here? Too lazy to review the thread :yawning_face:

https://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/DevServ/DevPlans/Reviews/2019/AdministrativeAlternate/AAD-010-19.pdf

They are asking for a few minor variances which seem pretty reasonable to me.

1 Like

Thanks for the doc; it’s a good read. It’s interesting how they pitch this project as a unifier of 4 districts, where they show 301H bordering:

• Glenwood South District
  • Capital District
  • Warehouse District
  • Fayetteville District

I also noticed they have a shot with the 2 Hillsborough project in the background, although it’s a bit squashed looking. Of course that Block 83 project isn’t zoned DX20 like this one is. The 301H project looks better with the buildings on top of the parking instead of the separate waste of space parking garages. It looks 301H is going with a metal mesh for the parking; the color blends with the glass pretty nicely.

7 Likes

That’s another map that needs to be redrawn: the downtown district map. In the original version, the Smoky Hollow area was drawn as part of the Capital District. That makes no sense to me since Capital Blvd effectively bisects the north side of downtown.
Their interpretation of the districts takes some liberties with the districts’ boundaries, as do others who draw the borders differently.

7 Likes

@dtraleigh
Leo, if memory serves, aren’t you familiar with the folks down at the DTR Alliance?
Don’t we have a newish person at the helm of the org whom could assist with this and updating these types of very important items?
imho…facts & figures are still relevant things in this world. :grin:

3 Likes

OMG yes!!! While I’m personally a total geek on these sorts of numbers, they totally matter when positioning the city where it belongs. IMO, the city should be fighting with its life to recombine the Triangle, define its metrics in the best light possible, etc. Other cities do this; it’s called marketing. Even if the city isn’t successful at challenging the OMB/Census, it should at least let its voice be heard. We should be up-selling the city and pushing forward.
On a similar note, new 2018 Census estimates are coming out today for municipalities. Been looking for them and will post ASAP.

10 Likes

Bill King is the new CEO over DRA. I’ve tried reaching out to him via email and via his assistant with no luck (on another topic). Perhaps Leo has better connections.

2 Likes

What stands out to me the most in these renderings (from this angle) is that I can’t see the Holiday Inn! :raised_hands::clap:

4 Likes

The DRA’s resident rundown is the best place to meet them face-to-face and start conversations.

@RobertSanderlin @John What am I missing with the district boundaries. Sure, they may be a little off but what does it matter? I think it only matters in the State of Downtown Raleigh report on the per-district findings.

I think a better effort might be to broaden the size of the Municipal Services District.

2 Likes