330 W Hargett - Legends block now DX-40

I mean… there’s a lot of people that want those.

1 Like

Yea ASR is only when you’re submitting an actual plan to build. This should be the real deal.

Great spot for a tall condo building.

2 Likes

uhhhh, who do you know that wants a $1700/mo 1 bedroom. “Will settle for” maybe, “can afford” definitely. But don’t be insane. Nobody in their right mind wants to pay that much for so little.

3 Likes

Clearly, and I can’t bash developers for continuing to build them. We just went looking at apartments a month ago and while we didn’t go to every development, we looked at 5 or 6, and these are some of the newer buildings downtown, and all were very full. All effectively 85% or more leased. By asking for condos I’m not suggesting we need less apartment options, but we do need more inventory of condos downtown. I’d even like to see more micro units to bring the cost down. I think there’s a good market for that.

14 Likes

Every single person living in a 1 bedroom unit at the Peace Apartments would LOVE to only pay $1700 per month.

Remember, no one is forcing these people to live here, they chose to.

5 Likes

I was mostly being facetious, and totally understand and agree with your points. I’d love to see a nice condo there.

A lot of the instinctive pushback against the upper-mid-priced downtown “luxury” (but not actually luxury) apartments can kind of grate on me when so many people (including me!) snap them up and every building around here is nearly leased out - they’re a good place to live, most of the people in my building like living here and love walking around downtown to do most of their shopping and eating, and it’s got plenty of fun amenities.

5 Likes

Wishful thinking - but with this site, wonder if they could do both a condo tower and an apartment tower rising from a single parking podium.

2 Likes

Oh they definitely could - but with how slender the lot is, my bet is that it will be one tall, skinny building.

Good grief. I just pulled a random number of the air. I’m out of touch with rental prices in the area apparently.

1 Like

I like it a lot $1700 is good. People make enough money downtown for that.

A teacher at Ligon middle school, nor a fireman at station 1 can afford that, and they would be lucky to find anywhere in the 27601 area code under $1700 a month.

5 Likes

uh… some people make enough money downtown for that. You know who don’t? Every single one of the people that work all those restaurants and shops downtown that residents enjoy. Would be killer if the service people that work downtown could afford to live downtown (and then some - I am aware that service workers could literally afford rent and bills, but after food, gas, various insurance, phone bill etc - there’s not much left. Wouldn’t it be sweet if those people could also like, ya know, enjoy their lives outside of work?)

3 Likes

I just want to know what children’s store did they use to model that living room furniture? that’s a very disingenuous representation of the size of that living room.

2 Likes

So rent control? Subsidized or public housing?

Asking for affordable apartments for service workers in desirable neighborhoods is a great thought, but devilishly hard to execute well in practice. If the land is expensive, you’re going to need some people paying a lot of money to make the development pencil out, whether it’s even more expensive market-rate apartments or the government chipping in your tax dollars.

1 Like

Oh I hear you, and I know it’s easier said than done. Just wish some (especially on here) would get it out of their heads that $1700+ a month is a “good price” for a pretty damn standard yet so-called “LuXuRy” apartment… in f*king Raleigh, North Carolina LMAO

Like, is it “market rate” now? Apparently, yes. But is it a Good price? Are we out of our damn minds?

4 Likes

We need a larger selection of “aged” buildings that are not brand new or attempting to appeal towards any luxury name. That won’t happen overnight, but more new inventory does help.

8 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Affordable Housing

What have you done?? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

1 Like

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Affordable Housing