400 Hillsborough Tower

Nothing has changed with the building design or size

8 Likes

So incredibly dumb and shortsighted. Alllllllllllllllllllll this time, and now height restrictions removed, and they’re still going with the short box.

$$$. need someone with deeper pockets. They probably already had this building planned out for years. I think we’re on the cusp of seeing some taller buildings (SH3 and 595 Capital) and maybe some of these other lots.

5 Likes

Buildings cost $$$$ that is financed by lenders with more on their minds than skyline views. Raleigh will see some taller structures sooner rather than later but 20 stories “cost wise” is a sweet spot for much of the current development in DT

8 Likes

The building was already designed. A developer is not going to spend the money to make it taller, especially since the number of stories would not change.

5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Possible New Development Locations and Projects

400H is a go! Contractor has given go ahead to proceed

38 Likes

Yeah another building to our growing skyline.

3 Likes

Do you have any idea what the timeline would be for demolition to start or construction to begin? Excellent news if this is finally moving forward!

10 Likes

301, 400, and 501 Hillsborough. Hopefully should create a nice corridor of new street level activity

12 Likes

While 301 and 400 are the same height, they have very different shapes / design elements that I think play off each other well. Excited to see how this and 501 plus phase 2 of 301 shape up. Combined with hopefully some soon to come ground floor tenants at bloc 83 this will be a really cool area.

Now all we need is to cap the railroad tracks in this area and create a linear park!

22 Likes

Is this still the most recent render?

10 Likes

I think so. That was the latest one I found scrolling up and the picture on the board at the lot still.

3 Likes

Not bad. I think I like it better than 301. Looks like it has some curving along the edges unless thats just my eyes playing tricks on me

4 Likes

have any details on dates and source of information?

1 Like

I think it’s the way the windows meet at the corner and the wood looking piece that flows around the corner. I think it’s a 90 degree edge but the way it’s designed gives the flowing / curved illusion. I really like that element.

5 Likes

Looking at the city’s permit portal, it looks like all of the permits are ready for issuance except for the building permit. It looks like they resubmitted for the building permit on 7/23.

11 Likes

I was never crazy about the design/lack of height but the one thing that makes that all moot for me is the fact that - unlike Pendo Tower - there is practically ZERO evidence of parking deck. If I remember correctly, this is because they were planning on using the Powerhouse Square deck catty-corner to this plot, and were going to build an additional two stories of parking on top of the existing deck (which as far as I’m aware, was initially built as a podium for a tower to eventually be built on top of it) - can anyone confirm if I am remembering correctly? I wonder if success of this building might eventually lead to the Powerhouse Sq. deck actually being built upon or even redeveloped sooner than later? At very least, they could add the couple extra floors of parking and then renovate the ground floor to have street-level retail spaces, thus extending the retail/restaurant corridor from 400H down West St. Tons of potential here…

7 Likes

The bridges need to be updated with larger sidewalks in the meantime.

10 Likes

There are 2 stories added to powerhouse deck, 1 level of parking below 1st floor of building and 2 parking levels between street level and 4th floor office level of building

7 Likes