400 Hillsborough Tower

Speaking of random jobs, I worked at a pharmacy during college down in Charleston. People would drop off stuff and say they were heading to the Pig. Like 4 or 5 people on my first day. It was getting close to lunch time, so I asked the pharmacist if the barbecue was any good. He looked quizzical, and I said at this Pig place everyone is going to. He said, “oh, that’s the Piggly Wiggly store they call that”. I’m pretty sure my Mema shopped at a Piggly Wiggly in Chatham (when she wanted to splurge, as Byrd’s was closer I’m pretty sure) but she never called it the Pig and I never heard that term. Haha, oops.

Also I remember the Winn-Dixie that was on Creedmoor Rd way back when. Became a Kroger and now is a Harris Teeter. Bringing this back on topic, there is always a market for a supermarket. As downtown grows, so will the options.

2 Likes

Living in Oxford, Miss, there was a chain called Jitney Jungle. That still tops the Pig in my book for craziest grocery name.

1 Like

There used to be a Piggly Wiggly in Five Points where NOFO @ The Pig is currently located.

5 Likes

Checked out the demo myself this morning.

40 Likes

Thanks for taking these, really interesting to see the progress just since Sunday!

Isn’t it surreal being there in person and seeing a whole block just missing?

8 Likes

So much faster to destroy than to create!! Haha. It is very surreal to see the church from state of beer

11 Likes

I walked by there on my evening walk and it smelled heavily of mildew. I can’t imagine how horrible it must have smelled inside the building before demo.

4 Likes

Canton’s was there for many years as one of Raleigh’s first Chinese restaurants.

3 Likes

I remember eating there decades ago!

1 Like

And it’s gone…

31 Likes

Are they expected to widen the sidewalks on all fours sides right? That will be a huge walking experience improvement.

9 Likes

Love that reflection coming off 301 Hillsbourgh

8 Likes

The building is going to be set back further from the road to make more room for the sidewalk. The West St. and Hillsbourgh St. sides become pretty active with the proposed tables and seating areas.

25 Likes

I think that the “busy bodies” :wink: at the city require 14 feet widths for sidewalks on new projects.

3 Likes

We were gone much of the last 3 weeks and it was crazy to drive by this block Wednesday afternoon and see it empty (except for debris).

Also, having a hard time seeing the pics through the watermark. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Here, I fixed it for you…

10 Likes

Oh, I see they have the fence up around the property.
:joy:

1 Like

Who can find the cam link?

EDIT, I’d be surprised if they had this streaming already. It looks like they installed it in the last couple of days.

12 Likes

New aerial photos of this demo.

#dtraerial
#400h-aerial

39 Likes

Jeez making up for lost time on this forum… quiet for days and then, boom, all kinds of awesome pics!

5 Likes