501 Hillsborough

Of course; one is far more malicious and (literally) hostile than the other. But I’m not equating the two; I’m saying you could maybe extend one legal concept into another context.

TBJ piece on this just dropped…not really giving any additional details we didn’t already know though:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/08/04/dalian-development-501-hillsborough-development.html

7 Likes

Then I guess you know where they got it.
:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I may have spoke too soon? Just skimmed through the thread one more time and didn’t see any specifics on the breakdown of units, here’s a quote from the article that gives a few more specifics:

Site plans show the development would have five stories for residential space with 233 apartments – 202 one-bedroom units, 25 two-bedroom units and 6 three-bedroom units. Below that would be a mix of office and retail space. The single-building development would also include a parking deck.

Raleigh-based Cline Design is the architect on the project while McAdams is handling engineering and planning. The site plans do not include pricing for the residential units or a timeline for the project.

Edit: Just saw these details in the site plans, nvm. TBJ must be lurking :eyes: Hey TBJ!!

6 Likes

Hmmm…“pricing for residential units” suggests for sale, not for rent. That doesn’t seem to jive with how these projects are usually positioned in the market.

Weird wording for sure, but I’m pretty certain these will end up being rentable units.

I can’t imagine them being condos at that number of units.
Frankly, I think that getting the financing to do a condo project that large might be challenging.

Also there isn’t much demand for one bedroom condos I believe. These definitely gotta be apartments

These are all rentable apartments. Building and courtyard over 2 floors of covered parking

Really good to hear that it is moving forward, thank you! :+1:

So if I understand correctly, when the cost of the lumber was at it’s highest you would have designed or it would have been built as 10 floors? In that way they could recoup the cost to build in DTR? :thinking:

That was an option as I understood it

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Former City Gateway and NCAE “block” - Salisbury Square

Well, with lumber prices back on the (slow) decline, is building taller still going to be an option or is this it?

Not going taller. The design of 5 stories stick built over podium is what they are moving forward with

2 Likes

This is honestly so much cooler and I just noticed the water tower on top- amazing!!! Email this to the developers :triumph:

2 Likes

Updated (10/15/21) elevations:

5 Likes

I would rate the ground level as maybe a slight improvement, but the side facing the railroad has received a significant downgrade in terms of aesthetics.

1 Like

Most definitely a snoozer. Still, it means a lot more downtown residents and continuing to build out the DTR/Glenwood “hinge” so they don’t feel so separated from each other, so far be it from me to let great be the enemy of good.

7 Likes

None of them are good, but I was thinking the railroad might be the best one since it didn’t have any of the off-white cementitious panels.

1 Like

or aqua panels!! Those “pops of color” really make the building feel fresh and modern. . . . ****

2 Likes