- Significant investment in Historic City Market so that it is a vibrant retail/restaurant destination and one of the highlights of the city.
- New tallest building at the N&O site with a beautiful design.
- I agree that the Sir Walter should be restored to Raleigh’s premier hotel. I get the need for affordable housing, but I’m not sure why it needs to be on Raleigh’s most prominent street in one of its most historic buildings.
- Either drastically improve Red Hat Amphitheater, or if the city is insistent on expanding the Convention Center, find a way to put Red Had on the roof. Make it an architectural statement with high quality sound, make it a “must-play” like Red Rocks or the Hollywood Bowl.
- 213 Harrington: Build this as proposed in the renders with all of greenery.
Edit: 6 (should probably be #1): How could I forget mentioning Dix Park? This is a project that is currently happening, but it would be great if they went even bolder and moved the timeline forward. If I were in charge, I’d help finance it by doing ground leases along Lake Wheeler as originally planned, plus put the full-court press on some of the area’s wealthy, and then go BIG on projects like the creek, the entry plaza, the grotto, and the ridge. Really make it a destination along the lines of Central Park, Grant/Millennium Park, Balboa, etc. Would love to find an anchor for the Ridge as well to help draw people.
Dreaming Even Bigger:
- Underground metro with stops at Union Station, Historic City Market, Cameron Village, North Hills, the new MLB stadium (see below), Dix Park, PNC Arena, UNC Rex, RDU, a couple at RTP, etc.
- Significant river through town, maybe with a waterfall in Dix Park. A nice riverwalk with cafe’s and retail along the shore.
- Remove Central Prison, replace with MLB stadium as the home of Raleigh’s new team. This would anchor a mixed-use center and possibly contain an MLS stadium as well.