Bike Lanes in and around DTR

I’m adding another complaint to this thread. I was blindsided today when biking on my way home from work. I decided to ride back via the Greenway. I headed south on Ashe Avenue and remained on the road that has a sharrow. Normally once I get to Western, I could use the ramp to get onto the sidewalk. Today I found out the sidewalk was redone with no ramp and had to stop and pull my bike up onto the path at the stop sign. This was very poorly designed.

In the mornings, I would normally use the ramp, get up on the Island on Ashe and then head north. If I want to do that, I now have to get onto Western Blvd and ride against traffic or use the sidewalk which has no clearance for a bike and pedestrian at the same time.

Pictured of the new section (there is no ramp).

Two pictures of what it used to look like. I would normally use that ramp, ride up onto that island (which is shallow), then head north with traffic. I’m curious to see what effect this may have on bike ridership on that path. I know there’s a counter there. I won’t be going that way anymore which sucks because it was a decently low stress route. Note how small that sidewalk is when it gets right next to the road. The fence blocks anyone from going off.

In other news, I wasn’t sure where to put this, but here’s apartments going up on W. Cabarrus St. I tried searching the threads, but I don’t think it’s the 401 Cabarrus Apartments as those are on the south side.

5 Likes