Bike Lanes in and around DTR

That looks great but do we have the space?

I certainly can see a space out front for easy access to a business as being a plus. The takeaway spaces in front of downtown businesses was amazing for takeout during the pandemic. But what are you going to complain about when a new and/or more popular restaurant or business moves next door and everyone is parking in front of your place in order to go to that place?

I remember The Roast Grill was complaining about the bike lanes taking spaces. Let’s say that didn’t happen. What are you going to complain about when everyone parks in the spaces in front of RG but are going to Morgan Street Food Hall instead?

I feel using public roads for parking is perfectly fine when supporting local businesses is a public good. However, there’s not enough public on-street parking to go around anymore. Moving people through is starting to be the new public good.

Ideas to mitigate this?

Sticking with the MSFH and RG example, how do we partner with Citrix to open up their deck to the public? How do you get public spaces available at Raleigh Crossing? 501 Hillsborough, which we’re tracking here, may build a deck with public parking. Capacity is there, it’s just different now. To a certain degree, adapt and it’ll be just fine.

6 Likes