Bike Lanes in and around DTR

I live in a 2006 suburb and it still not as dense, I am just shocked at the height of these houses. I really hope they incorporate bike lanes and large sidewalks into their main arteries.

It would be really great to see parking-protected bike lanes in Raleigh. Obviously it can’t happen everywhere due to space or logistical considerations, but surely there’s somewhere they could be installed, such as Hillsborough St. between Morgan and St. Marys — there’s a small separation between the bike lanes and the travel lanes. Why did they not place the parking next to the travel lanes rather than the sidewalk?

Here’s what I mean:

My thought was why did that not bring out a curbing machine (tooth paste machine) and run a curb along the line closest to sidewalk about the with of the separation lane and move have parking along car lane.

I was in Evanston recently. This is the ticket

8 Likes

Yes this is what I want, a real curb

5 Likes

After a recent death of a cyclist in Denver, there have been some protests about cycling safety in the city. Those against argue that cycling infra is counter to historic preservation. I feel the same argument might be made here and this commentary from a local news org in Denver hits it dead on.

3 Likes

I saw that too — that newscaster is spot on.

It reminds me of this clip from the Late Late Show with James Corden, who brings up a similar debate in Coronado, CA, though with a much more humorous approach:

1 Like

Raleigh currently has a Bronze level status with the League of American Bicyclists. Here is your chance to provide input on our cycling infrastructure.

The City of Raleigh recently reapplied to renew our Bicycle Friendly Community status with the League of American Bicyclists.

Please take a minute to complete this brief survey and help us gain a better understanding of your cycling experiences in Raleigh.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/app_BFC_FA19

6 Likes

I did it the other day!
One thing that I’d like the city to explore is bike lane safety through the traffic circles.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing - just completed.

Oaks & Spokes sent a questionnaire to all candidates running for Raleigh City Council. Here are the responses received. Thoughts?

Oaks & Spokes – 26 Jul 19

Candidate Questionnaire

(Also posted in “Raleigh candidates for City Council” forum)

2 Likes

Boston bike lanes.

10 Likes

You are the man @OakCityDylan! Why can’t we have this in Raleigh? Technically a cycle track (because both way traffic on one side) like the one Oaks and Spokes worked for over a year to get a “tactical urbanism” experiment on for Harrington St.

@RaleighBikeLady what is the latest on making that permanent? Didn’t Oaks and Spokes get a couple hundred peoples feedback on how awesome it was?

3 Likes

Also want this. How about on Hillsborough and Blount and Harrington Streets?

Beacon St., Boston

6 Likes

Just saw on twitter the Central CAC is holding a meeting to discuss a proposed Cycle-Track on State. St from MLK to the 40 bridge on Sep. 23rd. I wonder if this means they are giving up on the Harrington St Cycle track or plan on making more.

3 Likes

This is fantastic! That portion of State St. is insanely wide for only two lanes of traffic.

1 Like

Hey there - Mary here, Bicycle and Pedestrian Commission chair. :smiley: Definitely not giving up on the Harrington Street. Staff are finalizing engineering for that and will most likely have alignments to consider for the public in late fall. :+1: There are definitely more space constraints on Harrington then State Street, but staff are working hard to propose a few different alignment / options to create a tier 1, separated facility.

Note, for anyone that is interested, the Raleigh Bike Plan shows all proposed separated facilities (and their rank for implementation) on page 2 of the prioritization plan here (table inserted below as well): http://bikeraleigh.org/home/images/PDF/BikeRaleighPlan/4_Prioritization.pdf

State St is the 1st priority project, West St (now moved to Harrington) is #2.

6 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t see this tag! See below for a response on Harrington and other separated facilities :+1:

1 Like

Very strong possibility for this on Blount / Person in the future. Stretches without lots of curb cuts are great for parking protected lanes.

3 Likes

That’s awesome news, I don’t live far from this proposal and would make the trip to the Walnut Creek Greenway trail a lot easier. Any idea what they might use as the physical divider from the car traffic? There are multiple residential driveways to contend with on each side.
I imagine something like this with easy access:

3 Likes