Bike Lanes in and around DTR

That’s correct. No driveways or access points would be blocked. The image you pulled is probably exactly what would be done (although this would be a bi-directional facility vs 1 way). Do you happen to know where this image is from?

It’s in Silver Springs, MD just outside of DC.
https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/dot-dte/projects/secondave/index.html

1 Like

Sooooo when do we start working on S6? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

There’s a semi-recurring event in that other large NC city called Open Streets 704, which organizes a bike route along temporarily car-free streets. We need something like this.

Open Streets 919, anyone? :bike:

3 Likes

Sorry if this is old, but seems somewhat promising.

3 Likes

Would love to see something like this in Raleigh.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there’s a planned project for Avent Ferry? I didn’t see one on the BPAC site but thought I remembered hearing about one years ago. Maybe it was just further south? I use the stretch along Mission Valley often now.

There is a corridor study along Avent Ferry in progress which I’m sure will lead to some future recommendations in that area. I’ve seen some cross sections proposed through the public input process.

Edit: Apparently it’s been approved by City Council as of September 17th
https://www.raleighnc.gov/business/content/PlanDev/Articles/UrbanDesign/AventFerryCorridorStudy.html

1 Like

What do you think about the new Person St bike lanes?

Why aren’t we painting our bike lanes green? Please tell me it’s not about paint price.

I don’t think bike lanes really work to their full potential (safety-wise) if they aren’t painted a solid color. It’s just a bunch of white lines that to certain drivers, end up creating confusion.

3 Likes

I’ve been told many times from various people in City government that they don’t like the maintenance and upkeep (both the cost and labor) of painting bike lanes green. They worry about how they look when they fade. :man_shrugging:

Is this a city council thing?

I mean, it’s a shame and an oversight. The entire lane doesn’t’ have to be green, but important intersections should be. It’s about explaining to car drivers that there is investment, thought and infrastructure in place for bikes. It also creates a visual barrier that lets drivers know that lane isn’t theirs and is for a different use. It’s a joke and honestly a slap in the face that they believe just a single white line is going to keep our cyclists safe.

bike-box-lloyd-blvd-portland_or

6 Likes

I bet the BRT lanes are painted.

Painted with cars with emergency blinkers on.

2 Likes

I believe the light house at Hatteras isn’t painted, they actually just dyed the concrete. I realize they are working with a lighter beginning product, but there has to be a dye that would work with blacktop.

There HAS to be investment from the city…

There are a few intersections on Hillsborough Street downtown by the Capital that have green paint near intersections. I would imagine if we ever installed a bike box as shown in that picture, that would be crucial enough to denote special paint applications.

2 Likes

So why are we still bothering with yellow paint down the center of every street? Or white paint for crosswalks and stop lines? :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Once Raleigh stops ending sidewalks abruptly maybe more ppl would bike. From the South there is no direct route to downtown. Lake Wheeler stops at the Farmers Market and same on South Saunders where the sidewalk ends on Prospect. Why? Before they end there are miles of connecting sidewalks and paved paths. I recently got an electric bike but it’s still scary as hell to ride from my house (Lake Wheeler by Carolina Pines park) to downtown. It’s super fun to get thru the Centennial / LW intersection.

2 Likes

Because the city doesn’t like the cost to install and maintain sidewalks apparently.

1 Like