Bike Lanes in and around DTR

BY that map, my house would be 1 block from the beach!

2 Likes

IDK. If everything up to the lightest green is underwater, Raleigh-Cary could be more like an island, but itā€™s difficult to see exactly where the line would be.

when you zoom in and out of the model, the colors annoyingly change. When you drop a pin anywhere, it tells you the elevation as that point. Pretty much downtown Raleigh ends up on a peninsula with water coming up under the city just north of I40. Water comes around the west side through Chatham Co. as well.
Iā€™d love to see a map with everything under 240 under water. I think it would be fascinating to see how it would play out, but it sure seems like Raleigh ends up more like a coastal Carolina city like Wilmington or Charleston, just hillier. Itā€™s easy to imagine main main Raleigh peninsula running from Durham toward Clayton, with a parallel one running from Wake Forest to down through eastern Wake Co.

1 Like

I found a website that allows you to make something like that. Setting the value at 240 feet/73 meters, this is how it might look:

Looks like I might need to move . . . :no_mouth:

6 Likes

The West and The Fairweather are comfortably at 315ā€™ and 315ā€™ respectfully. Iā€™m good with that.

3 Likes

Much shorter trip to the :beach_umbrella:

1 Like
  • weā€™d have the Port of Raleigh.

Look like if we just damn the river near Wilsonā€™s Mills we will have a nice lake near downtown for water attractions lol!

1 Like

For those that may be interested, the City currently is planning to convert lanes downtown on Blount and Wilmington Street to be shared bike / bus lanes. Oaks and Spokes is advocating for a better solution that allows all ages and abilities bike infrastructure through our downtown core. Weā€™re honestly the biggest fans out there of BRT, and have been a stakeholder throughout the process, but we believe the shared bus / bike lane is not optimal and that we can do better as a community.

More info here: https://oaksandspokes.com/buses-and-bikes-in-the-same-lane/

Proposed:

Preferred:

19 Likes

Are there examples of bus-bike shares lanes somewhere? It sounds like a terrible idea on the face of it, especially for BRT.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s some expanded information on Bus+Bike lanes.

Iā€™m not sure how I feel about them. On one hand, how often will busses plus bikes be present at the same time for there to be potential conflict. On the other hand, this kind of seems lazy but if doing a two-way conversion, the ROW is tight.

Iā€™d prefer the protected bike lane if I were to ride a bike or scooter there.

3 Likes

NACTO has a page on their application, here: Shared Bus-Bike Lane | National Association of City Transportation Officials

They are used, but honestly should be a last resort and not a 1st option from my vantage. Lots of different ways we could incorporate both modes (parallel corridors, bike lane at curb (as shown above), etc). Oaks and Spokes will be advocating for a better outcome here.

7 Likes

Haha! Thanks for posting this. We had the same thought, at the same time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This idea might be too crazy but what if Blount was a two-way road for cars (still have the sidewalks) and Person was just a busway / bikeway / walkway?

3 Likes

Definitely agree protected facility would be better, but Iā€™d be happy with shared lane. To your point tho, not everyone on a bike is comfortable/capable dodging city traffic.

I recently biked from Bed-Stuy Brooklyn to lower Manhattan and it was actually surprisingly comfortable to bike in city traffic most of which was shared bike/bus lanes

1 Like

Agree - sounds like a horrible idea. Cyclists breathing bus fumes. Plus I see scenarios where the slower bikes get passed by a bus, only to overtake the bus at the next stop, getting overtaken by the bus, and then passing the bus at the next stop. And on and on.

3 Likes

I have said it before but Iā€™ll say it again: Downtown Raleighā€™s streets are not wide enough (just 66ft!) to ever be truly ā€œcompleteā€ streets which accommodate everything (nice sidewalks, 2 way cycle tracks, 2 way car traffic and parking, and 2-way bus lanes).

It is, however, plenty to accommodate all of the above in one direction.

Two way conversions downtown are actually, in most cases, a bad idea for this reason. I get nobody likes Dawson and McDowell but one way streets can def. be made much nicer than that.

6 Likes

What is the big perceived advantage of flipping these streets to two-way traffic ?
Those dozen parked cars on the proposed are my biggest concern / gripe as a cyclist whoā€™s encountered an unwitting driver pull out in a similar situation before - would be nice to get the protected lane

1 Like

Now granted the BRT buses wouldnā€™t occupy the lanes most of the time, itā€™s way too much moving mass when inevitably they make contact, itā€™s not going to be good for the cyclist. This was yesterday in Durham.

Yeah thatā€™s what I was thinkingā€”busses either being slowed by bikes or having to pass them, and vice versa. Sounds both dangerous and inefficient. But maybe better than nothing. Obviously dedicated bike lanes would be best.

2 Likes