Bike Lanes in and around DTR

I wonder if there would be any grade issues with the Wake Forest end of that segment

1 Like

All in all, it wouldn’t be nearly as difficult as the Atlanta plan since you don’t have to rework any exits and street grid like they are doing. This could just be a covered bridge basically.

1 Like

Might have to end it a little before or just have it as almost sort of an overlook leading right up to wake forest. Would have some killer views of downtown.

2 Likes

There is a future greenway trail on the master plan that extends from Crabtree Creek along Big Branch creek, up to Eastgate park north of 440. But for all I know that is 10 years off.

4 Likes

If North Hills’ future extension jumps south of 440 it’s probably not the craziest idea in the world, but right now the focus is justifiably on adding more vehicle and pedestrian connections over 440 between Six Forks and Wake Forest because that’s a complete 1.2-mile wall between the different parts of “Midtown” people are wanting to connect.

6 Likes

The temporary bike lanes on State St are up and running. Go check them out! They’re coming down tomorrow evening.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Jack! More information here: https://raleighnc.gov/events/bikeraleigh-s-state-street-pop-event

Oaks and Spokes will be out with the city from 1pm - 3pm at the Walnut Creek Wetland Center with the St. Augustine Cycling Team, a pop-up traffic garden for little ones, and lots of people on bikes. Hope to see folks there!

10 Likes

I don’t think it is so much of an IF North Hills jumps over 440 as WHEN. Developers are buying up the properties in the old office park inside 440 so it is only a matter of time before stuff comes down and something bigger goes up.

4 Likes

I wish planners had been more thoughtful about ped and cycling access when they created Six Forks, at least the part around and over 440.

3 Likes

There really is no great way to retrofit US interchanges for bike/ped access. It can be done in other bike/ped friendly countries but because the footprint of the interchanges are smaller and they are designed for much lower speeds

3 Likes

Looking at the state of the bridge, it’s probably from the 70s. Unfortunately it just wasn’t a thought back then. Accommodations will definitely be made when the study findings are implemented.

I’d love to see something like the 5th street bridge in Atlanta. Walking over that, you’d have no clue you were on top of a 16 lane freeway.

3 Likes

That is very cool! I could see something like that someday either from NH or maybe once Midtown Exchange is built out.

3 Likes

They were adding the sides to that when I was a freshman at Tech. Really cool way to connect two parts of campus. It really helps that it is just a crossover bridge and not a highway connection with onramps.

3 Likes

Soon they may have the whole highway covered from north ave to 10th street if things go to plan!

3 Likes

There’s a land bridge component to Dix Park over to NCSU that we’ll be able to enjoy in a few decades.

1 Like

Hopefully the ocean doesn’t swallow us by the time they get to that phase of Dix!

3 Likes

It will be beach front property by then and they’ll have to rethink their designs to align with the new environs.

2 Likes

The ocean will come up to around Zebulon.

Quite the perspective on eastern Wake real estate!! :ocean:

1 Like

If we all lived to a time with full melting of polar ice, Raleigh becomes a coastal city.
If you believe the 240 ft sea level rise prediction, just map this against the city. It would be a fascinating city, not unlike Wilmington today with a wide river mouth from the Neuse + an archipelago & several hilly peninsulas in including downtown itself.

4 Likes