Bike Lanes in and around DTR

True, but we’re talking about bike Lanes which take 1-3 years if we prioritize them. I would love to see commuter rail also and don’t see why we couldn’t have that in 5 years, again if it was prioritized.

2 Likes

He won’t. He hates old buildings too. Especially if they are brick.

I mean, if you want to go there, we’ve been massively social engineered away from downtowns, and into our cars…on a much more massive scale than anything currently being done to reverse that.

1 Like

Saw these bike lanes today in North Raleigh. Thought they are done well. Lots of room for the right of way and the bikers with a nice safety lane in between. Very clear and not confusing like some of the multi task lanes seen near downtown. Understand about the lack of space but this is a good way to go for all future roads.

8 Likes

We can have more of this sort of arrangement DT if we eliminated on street parking…just saying. Just look at this example; there’s no on street parking.

It’s not technically parking but watch it be used for it anyway. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I don’t know that it will become parking. There are no frontage properties in that photo and most people are too lazy to park on a street and then walk to someone’s house from that far away.

2 Likes

I really love that the City kept the roadway lanes to a minimum width, reserving the extra space for a buffer zone. Too often I see roads with a bike lane on the shoulder, but no buffer despite the roadway lane being far wider than necessary. This is an excellent model moving forward.

I wonder if the proposed “Harrington St Cycle Track” will alleviate any of these issues.

I was also thinking the city could begin work on portions of Harrington St. that don’t require crossing a signal light. Then finish the remainder once NCDOT gives the go-ahead.
This area is going to see an enormous increase in foot traffic shortly with the completion of the Metro, Peace, Capital Bridge improvements, and Smokey Hollow. These issues will only get worse.

3 Likes

Good lord, that street is horrible. But when fixed it will have a really nice look to it, sooner the better.

1 Like

More information regarding the “cycle track” and how to donate.
https://oaksandspokes.wildapricot.org/Projects

1 Like

Sorry to be negative about something that I’m in favor of philosophically, but this is going to go directly in front of the Quorum Residences including our parking deck, streetside parking and loading zone for moving in and out. We are not even back in after almost 2 years since the fire and this feels like it’s going to really be a setback for us and a major inconvenience at best. Whatever became of the West Street Cycle Track that doesn’t block anybody’s parking or loading area?

This isn’t going to block anything. Loading zones and other building features are legally required to be accessible. Plus it’s not like overnight Raleigh will gain 5 billion bicycle riders because one tiny street has a half-baked cycle track.

4 Likes

The Oaks and Spokes site says this will start Spring 2019. Does anyone have any idea when the Person/Blount St. restriping project begins? Seems like it keeps getting pushed back.

1 Like

Looks like the project is out for bids, slightly behind schedule

Here’s my favorite new time suck that lets you see a bunch of projects all over Raleigh.

http://ral.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=caf51f19de1142f9aceffd5ddff206a8&mobileBreakPoint=100

4 Likes

That link is awesome. Thanks.

In that link you sent, it’s showing that the Person/Blount restriping project is in construction with the 2-way conversion saying “Programmed”.

1. I dont actually think the restriping is actively happening (I havent seen anything)
  2. Any idea what “Programmed” means?
1 Like

Wow that’s very cool! Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

I think programmed means it’s on the agenda to do eventually but nothing concrete has started.

1 Like

thanks for clarifying

2 Likes

I should add that this Cycle Track is probably bad for the community because it’s a terrible design and will put off people from accepting biking infrastructure.

Cycle Tracks in an urban setting makes no sense.

Parallel raised/protected bike lanes between the sidewalk and parking makes the most sense since it is less frustrating for car drivers. Less people will die because of distracted car drivers and bicycles will interact less.

Look car parking not affected! Cars don’t have to cross into bike traffic. How sensible and reasonably affordable.

IMG_0200_bike_lane_mom_kid IMG_0540_lane_inside_parkedcars_1

4 Likes