Bike Lanes in and around DTR

Update on the N. West Street greenway connection north of Peace Street. They have 3 different options that were presented.

1. Separated 11 foot multi-use path on the east side of the street. 77 parking spots remain
  2. 6 foot walkway on the east side. Bikes on the road. 80 parking spots remain.
  3. 6 foot walkway on both sides of the street. Bikes on the road. 70 parking spots remain.

Considering we’re only losing 3 parking spots on the multi-use path, I’m voting for that one. A multi-use path would give an option for both bikes, (slower bikes), pedestrians, and actually makes sense as a greenway. Without the multi-use path, it’s really not a greenway connection and gives the same exact missing connections that we typically find in other parts of the greenway system where there’s only sidewalks and which bikes tend to use (think Six Forks Rd, Lassiter Mill, Ashe Ave, N. Raleigh Blvd).

I’m disappointed in the limited engagement of Smoky Hollow, N. West Street businesses, and Five Points.

Survey:

12 Likes

I agree with your assessment. This north greenway connector is a key missing piece of the greenway system. There is nothing currently connecting downtown to midtown / Crabtree creek. They don’t need to skimp on it.

Though why wouldn’t the greenway go through Smokey Hollow park, rather then going along West St?

3 Likes

I think it’s supposed to, but it’s just a few years off and this has the added benefit of providing (1) direct access to businesses and (2) a “sidewalk” where there currently is not one

1 Like

I’ll leave this here:

https://x.com/tomflood1/status/1727315364214952417?s=46

I’m not sure what you mean here. There was a lot of in-person engagement with N. West St. businesses. Also, “This phase of the project will connect downtown Raleigh to Five Points, and is being proposed as a pilot project with continued stakeholder engagement 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months after installation.”

It sounds like the engagement is mainly with the businesses. Generally when I hear feedback from businesses, they tend to be most concerned about losing parking spaces. This leads to negative feedback regarding parking spaces. This expectation could also be set by news articles that report when new bike lanes or pedestrian infrastructure goes in.

The video discussed “Roanoke Park stakeholders”; not necessarily Five Points. I’m assuming this is in the region directly around Roanoke Park. Smokey Hollow was also listed. I just feel this is probably such a very small amount of neighborhoods to target. This could just be my thinking. I would have expected to see signs asking for feedback, but I will admit that I haven’t used this section recently this week; They might be there. I’ll have to use that route next week, so my thoughts on that may be premature.

I will say that I definitely used that route on Sept 15th to get to and from work. I’m assuming I was counted in the “Active Transportation Trips”. I have been leaning more towards using Oberlin or the greenway > Clark > Hillsborough given the morning crossing Wade Ave to not be that pleasant. The crossing definitely needs work.

I think I’m mainly concerned with being left with yet another missing link in what’s supposed to be a “greenway connector”. If it’s simply sidewalks, then we can define a lot of “greenway connectors” in various parts of Raleigh. If a sidewalk is the only requirement, then there’s already a North - South Greenway connector on Capital Blvd between Wade Avenue all the way down to W. South Street; There’s at least one sidewalk all along that section.

There was engagement with businesses along the N. West St. corridor and they were primarily concerned with losing parking - no surprise there.

I’m supporting the multi-use path option. If implemented I think it will be superior to just a sidewalk “greenway connector.”

6 Likes

Well today I was surprised twice on my way home.

I guess I’ve been lucky going through Meredith College on my way home after work. Today was the first day I ran into the locked gate at Meredith College at 5:30PM. I’d understand if it was 8-9PM, but 5:30PM is just after work lets out. I was annoyed because now that meant me sitting in the red light traffic on Faircloth St unless I used the sidewalk. I used the sidewalk on Peace Street this morning due to no bike lanes East of Capital. One lane was closed heading east. I wanted to get a look at the progress of Seaboard Station and it’s quicker going this way so I can get on Salisbury St and not have many stop signs to deal with.

@Brian @JonathanMelton Are either of you aware of any updates on the Faircloth Rd cycle track (link)? The project states it’s being constructed in 2022, but there is no visual indication of any construction happening.

Closed gate at Meredith College at 5:30PM.

My second surprise came in at Crabtree Creek Trail and 440 intersection. This intersection is now closed for the second time this year and this section of the trail is now closed for the 5th time in 3 years. This stuff was literally just put up today so I definitely use this trail a ton. It also looks like it’s going to be closed until next July :-1:.

Bonus photo from Fayetteville St. during Illuminate tonight. I think it officially starts tomorrow, but I ran into it when I started biking home.

4 Likes

This detour through NH park - Yadkin is brutal with hills. Great for exercising, horrible for bike commuters.

4 Likes

The amount of Greenway closures the last few years is insane. Especially after the Greenway Plan update claimed they were considering the greenways as transportation routes. Just laughable.

4 Likes

Not to mention if you are headed southeast, and you have to detour by climbing up to North Hills Park, you will encounter one of the steepest uphills in our greenway system.

1 Like

And they stay closed for ages. I don’t bike, but I play tennis and run around Worthdale Park a lot, and the Walnut Creek Greenway around there has been shut for sewer work for ages with a wildly not-useful detour, plus the 440 underpass floods in any decent rain.

2 Likes

Well today it finally happened. I ended up getting hit by a truck while on Crabtree Valley Avenue right behind Crabtree Mall. Since the person was barely taking off, they just managed to tap me to where my bike went over, but I was able to catch myself. I wasn’t injured and the bike was fine so we didn’t have any information exchanged or anything. The guy was definitely apologetic. I was annoyed, but didn’t really yell at him or anything. I probably would have been a lot more argumentative if he wasn’t that apologetic. I was just happy I wasn’t hurt and the bike was fine. I also didn’t want to deal with any paperwork or insurance stuff. Too much time and hassle.

I’m guessing the driver never looked right. I slowed down coming up to the crossing and he had come to a complete stop (granted partially in the sidewalk). I proceeded to cross and they took off without ever looking right.

It’s a bit frustrating because I’ve really been running into quite a close calls. I almost ended up into the side of a car on Peace Street after it passed me and then pulled into the Exxon station. I don’t understand why they did that because they literally passed me and cut me off to turn right in front of me.

I also had a car try to squeeze past me on Oberlin near Idle Hour Coffee to where the opposing traffic was honking at the person.

Just thought I’d share my story today. Luckily it happened at a stop sign.

3 Likes

Sheesh I’m glad you’re ok but that’s very frustrating to hear.

3 Likes

Were you on the greenway trail where that mall exit is? I rode by there last weekend and it was a bit hairy crossing that. I went around the back of one car waiting, just because because they never look or expect cyclists or pedestrians there.

Yeah I was on the greenway trail. I thought the person had seen me because at first it looked like they were going to roll through and then stopped last minute (partially in the crosswalk). I proceeded with the understanding that they had seen me and were waiting. I would like to see some improvement to this section. As with a lot of roads in the area, I think the problem is that people get too used to moving very fast and are only looking for other vehicles. I’m assuming that they probably didn’t consider pedestrians or cyclists mainly because they were making the right. This means since they did not see a car on the left, that’s why they moved forward. This conflicted with me thinking they saw me and stopped last minute so I could pass. At the moment they proceeded forward, they had turned their head and saw/heard as they hit me. It was clear the guy didn’t do it on purpose and was super apologetic.

The only problem I have now is that my wife now wants me to look into getting a car for me now. We are a one car family and have been for 4 years. I think she’s just worried and hope the idea will change over the next couple of days. I was shocked at first and annoyed, but I think I’ve moved past it. It was just so quick and unreal.

I am very sorry to hear this happened to you. I know it’s super traumatizing to be struck by a vehicle regardless of whether or not you end up injured. We’re trying to impress upon the city the importance of somehow collecting these “close call” data. I’m hopeful that our vision zero program can move this forward as their goal is to work towards eliminating serious injuries and fatalities on our transportation networks.

I’ve requested an update on the Faircloth Rd project. This has come up at BPAC, but it’s been a while since we’ve had an update.

I know the Greenway closures and less-than-optimal detours are extremely frustrating. I sit in on the PRGAB Greenway Committee as a liaison from BPAC and we have been impressing upon staff the need to communicate the reasons for closures as well as the estimated dates of closure. As the notes from your pics of the Crabtree Creek trail closure indicate, this is an NC DOT lead-paint abatement project on the I-440 bridge. In addition to collecting the lead paint, they also have to contain/clean up all of the sand blasting media used to remove the paint.

It may be small consolation, but let’s keep in mind that we wouldn’t be complaining about deficiencies in our greenway system if we lived in a city that didn’t have one. I think where the city fell short was on waiting 33 years to update the greenway master plan. The last update was in 1989. Since then the greenway system has obviously become a huge asset to the city and we need to do a better job of stewardship as growth of the system and usage increase.

10 Likes

Following up with an update on the Faircloth project. This project is still going through design and there will need to be additional engagement with Meredith College. I think Meredith had some security/safety concerns with the early design ideas. I’m told that a realistic estimate of when the project will be completed is 2026-2027. I know this is disappointing, but wanted to share information.

7 Likes

I’m very sorry that happened to you. Glad you were not injured and your bike wasn’t damaged, but it had to be very scary. I think our entire crosswalk design is bad b/c cars usually creep right up to it and then they are looking for other cars and go as soon as they see an opening and don’t think to look for bikers or pedestrians. Seems like there is a better way to design them.

I would like to ride more, but I almost exclusively ride on greenways b/c of the risk when you mix with cars (and sometimes you still have to mix w/ cars even when on the greenway, like in your case).

1 Like

Thanks for the update @Brian . It’s disappointing, but it is what it is.

Given the closed section of the greenway under 440, and Meredith closing the greenway as soon as it’s dark, I’ve taken to using the greenway on the way to work, then Hillsborough, and mainly Brooks Avenue on the way back to Glen Eden > Greenway.

Yeah bad design affects cyclists and pedestrians alike. I was attempting to cross Lake Boone today at the crosswalk near Food Lion. Had the hardest time crossing. They need an actual pedestrian traffic light there. The problem with Crabtree is that people are too much in a rush there.

After purchasing and using the ebike, I’ve definitely become a lot comfortable on a lot more of the roads. I ride my normal bike on the weekends on the greenway (like I did when I got hit :upside_down_face:).

On a positive note, I did ride on Oberlin today. It does look like the new bike lanes are progressing. I’m looking forward to those opening. Yes I have my critiques on Oberlin already, but since I’ve been riding now for a bit, I’ll use them.

3 Likes