Bike Lanes in and around DTR

So last time I complained about my commute through Meredith College at night (Link) and here I’ll complain again. This time it was on my way to work with the sun up. I know it may grow tiring of my complaining, but you have to understand this is coming from someone who attempts to use the biking infrastructure that has been lauded.

I also hate hearing people complain about cyclists not using bike lanes when they’re put in. If we look at it, how can we expect infrastructure to be used when it’s either closed (left) or not maintained (right). I’ve placed a request on SeeClickFix back when advised (link to earlier post), but still see that nothing was ever done for the requests. I will admit that there have been some request I have put in for SeeClickFix that were handled within a day or so that were related to the greenway for bridge lighting.

If we want to be a city that wants to promote alternate modes of transport, then we need to make the connections be reliable and maintained.

On a separate, more positive note, I was very impressed to see Crabtree Creek greenway cleared out very quickly the day after the rain/flooding.

12 Likes

if i was commuting, ebike all the way. keep the speedster for weekend blasts.

District D residents, here’s your chance to weigh in on bike/ped improvements you’d like to see in your neighborhood. Councilor Harrison will be hosting a District D town hall on this subject on Saturday, 2/17 at Carolina Pines Community Center from 9:30 - 11:00. We have a transportation bond coming up for vote later this year. Weighing in at events like this can impact the types and locations of projects included in our bonds.

Here’s the meeting description from Councilor Harrison:

“Want your neighborhood to be more bicycle and pedestrian friendly? A District D Town Hall will be held on Saturday, February 17th from 9:30-11 am at the Carolina Pines Community Center (2305 Lake Wheeler Rd). This meeting will feature presentations from City Transportation staff about bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure improvement plans for District D. Please attend to share your personal experience and what you want to see improved.”

Councilor Harrison has sent a direct invitation to Oaks & Spokes and BPAC. I hope to see many of you there.

9 Likes

just wondering…does the DTH, district town hall, replace that other acronym?

Probably can’t make it, but we all know the obvious. Lake Wheeler road needs bike lanes over 440

1 Like

Happy MLK Day everyone!

18 Likes

https://twitter.com/OaksAndSpokes/status/1754881915272724728?t=PBrlpZ63_LZ1bEXgEZKO4w&s=19

Excellent new curb-protected path on Trenton Rd. is open!

6 Likes

We need more!! It’s good to see that RDOT cares about transportation equity and increasing the access to active transportation options :bike:

4 Likes

Q: You know what would make this even better? A: speed bumps on the exit side of each driveway to force drivers to pause/slow down before they cross the bike path.

6 Likes

Some U.S & Black History related to bike innovation:

African American Contributions to Cycling Still Felt Today – Indego.

8 Likes

Cool read. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Almost forgot to post this, but was surprised to see that Block83 has covered bike parking. I’ve never really noticed this but just found out. Anyone know of any other covered bike parking areas? I know of one rack near the parking garage entrance (covered) at 4.12 S Wilmington St.

19 Likes

Smokey Hollow has quite a lot!

3 Likes

Where at? I don’t remember seeing any in the Publix garage. Is it in the garage on the south side of Smoky Hollow?

Correct, on the south side of the Peace Apartments building (West/Johnson St), right inside the “monthly parking” entrance. It’s a little room tucked inside the wall (plus additional racks on every floor going up near the residential entrances).

There’s also some very nice indoor bike parking in the 427 N Harrington office building, but it’s only for office workers as you might have guessed.

1 Like

That’s the main thing. I remember seeing that when I would go to New Anthem (RIP). I meant public covered bike parking. Block 83 has public covered bike parking which is a bit rare as far as I know in Raleigh.

Though a little inconvenient and probably intended for residents, the indoor bike parking in the Peace deck is publicly accessible :slightly_smiling_face:

There is covered bike parking at the parking deck on Blount St, right across the street from Marbles.

Not really downtown, but there is also some covered bike parking at Iron Works, which is nice to see for a new development.

3 Likes

That’s cool and all. But nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to ride this pathetic excuse for a bike ̶l̶a̶n̶e̶ gutter to Iron Works. I’ve done it a single time, and absolutely refuse to do it again. It is not safe and someone is eventually going to get killed on it.

I’d actually prefer the bike rack wasn’t there. I don’t want some unassuming person to think that this is a bikable path.

10 Likes

Platform has a street-level bike room but I think it’s residents only…