Bloc 83 - One Glenwood and Origin Hotel

That’s actually the elevator shaft. They still have to pour the concrete before they start the last floor :grin:

2 Likes

View from Glenwood Ave this morning…

12 Likes

Still one floor to go, right? Could’ve sworn I remember this being planned for 7.

3 Likes

Yes, 7 floors. 1 to go.

6 Likes

Definitely not a bad look for the terminus of Glenwood. Too bad the same developer is putting a bare parking deck as the terminus of Boylan (because of the offset intersection).

1 Like

Speaking of exposed parking decks, t will be interesting to see what happens on the south side of the Origin parking deck in the plot of land that faces Hargett. The UDO allows 7 floors there, but the parking garage is already more floors than that from the Hargett side.
I still hold out hope that there will be a pedestrian path through the hotel, deck, and then whatever gets built on the other side. It would be great to connect Glenwood South and the Warehouse District for pedestrians through those places.

2 Likes

Not sure if you’re aware, but there is a sidewalk path now on the west side of the parking deck. It connects between Morgan St and Hargett St. It opened recently and does provide some nice connectivity. I’m actually curious if the stairs on the left side of the hotel that go down towards the railroad tracks will also be open to the public.

2 Likes

At-grade tracks on Hargett need to be address. The how is the difficult part.

Until such time that HSR comes to Raleigh, I’d suspect that crossing Hargett’s on grade tracks will be similar to crossing the ones on Jones in Glenwood South; people do it all the time. Why can’t a similar solution be implemented for both?

1 Like

There’s 6 levels from the street level now, with one to go.
But I wonder why they aren’t counting the two levels below street level. In this pic, they haven’t yet cut out all the window holes. Perhaps they’re putting the rooms such as the gym, bike share room, storage, etc. But they should count as levels in the total count. I guess I’m missing something.

5 Likes

If you look at previous pictures from that webcam, there are no window holes in the frame either. I think those areas are definitely going to be some sort of other purpose spaces, not guestrooms.

I agree with your interesting point about where to count floors from. I wonder how this fits into the UDO

3 Likes

7 Likes

That’s one fancy neighborhood light fixture there!
I’m going to guess that residents on Boylan between Morgan and Hargett are NOT happy with this.

4 Likes

There have been several posts about it being “disruptive” and fundamentally changing the character of the neighborhood. Some folks were unaware they live a block from downtown until just recently I suppose.

7 Likes

I hope so. It will make me sublimely happy.

1 Like

What a difference a year or so makes…
Also, anyone else ever wind up on the webcams for these downtown projects? Occasionally I do. It’s the closest I’ll ever get to being famous :wink:

15 Likes

you are not kidding here. Its hard to imagine its the same place, especially when you aren’t in Raleighwood and so don’t see the whole metamorphosis of the locations. Late night, after a few adult beverages, I might be totally lost in the town I grew up in! Of course that could be true regardless, lol.

4 Likes

For the blog tomorrow.

5 Likes

This one shows just how “thin” this building is. (or how giant the parking deck is)

9 Likes

Also I got stuck in their elevator Sunday afternoon

3 Likes