Bloc 83 - One Glenwood and Origin Hotel

That’s an understatement! That building looks especially ridiculous at this stage since the bright green really emphasizes the juxtaposition.

3 Likes

I took this Sunday afternoon and spotted three people looking out from the top of the deck. You?

Sadly no. I gave up after that. I’ve been up there once tho. Nice views!

Between Morgan and Hargett? There are three old houses carved up into cheap apartments, and more modern apartment building that is also in the ‘still affordable’ category for downtown (1980’s era I’d guess), a 1930’s era apartment building another house that is a law office and Planned Parenthood. That’s the sort of makeup no developer or council member would give two craps about. Also, I doubt this set of renters cares too much. I consider this block a mental and physical buffer between Boylan Heights and downtown.

1 Like

15 Likes

I can’t wait for the AC hotel to get started. It’ll really connect all of this.

4 Likes

God that building looks better at a distance when you don’t see all the incongruent mess up close.

4 Likes

Interesting article from TBJ

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/03/15/publiccompany-moves-hq-to-downtown-raleigh.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2019-03-15&u=nYhfGtIXL8BJ5JuUa0zidQ0c77eaf9&t=1552680661&j=87262131

I also, think that the above TBJ article shows just how important it is to have existing buildings/office space available. In this way we can bring companies into downtown that may have to pass DTR for a suburban space…:thinking::grin:

3 Likes

Does anyone else remember there being plans for some shipping container units set in the “valley” between the two buildings on Hillsborough St?

3 Likes

I do. I wonder if they are still going to happen?

I was looking at the revised plans just now, and it appears that they’re doing something a little different now.

5 Likes

Interesting! I’d say this ‘Accessory Structure’ building looks much nicer than some stacked shipping containers. Not as gritty and edgy, but nicer looking and a lot more windows. The ‘V’ columns is a nice touch. I wonder when they’ll start on the 2nd tower? Late spring hopefully?

3 Likes

I think Dram & Draught has to move first and I don’t see any evidence that the new space in One Glenwood has been started (where they’re moving).

I check on this weekly and am also frustrated by the lack of work on their new space. I like their current spot but with the handwriting on the wall, I’d like to have them just bite the bullet and get moving.

1 Like

A couple pics of the Origin Hotel. Floor 7 and floor 5.

7 Likes

How in the hell are you getting up there?

3 Likes

Nice. I’ve wanted to go in there but there were always workers on site.

2 Likes

I’m a wizard lol… (There’s public access to the parking deck)

2 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if they (Dram & Draught) wanted to wait until construction is complete across the street before moving.

get yourself, jeans, flannel shirt, denim jacket, hard hat, clip board and walk around like you know what you are doing; then can go anywhere :wink:. OH I almost forgot, a psychic paper name badge LOL

5 Likes