Bloc 83 - One Glenwood and Origin Hotel

And if anyone questions you, ask to see their union card.

2 Likes

Yeah this is Raleigh not Pittsburgh…

5 Likes

Well let’s get the 2nd tower going!

Glenwood 2 looks to be more glassy and modernistic than 1. Less of a hodgepodge.
I wonder when when they’ll start the demo for it…
Glenwood2

12 Likes

I wish I knew. I think about this daily LOL. Gotta get Dram and Draught’s space started because they can’t demo the old one until the new one is ready. At this rate it could be 4 more months…

2 Likes

I’d rather they do this accessory building all modernist than the stacked crates. People with money pretending to be cool is just lame and kills off what was cool at one time. Real ingenuity is born from necessity. A guy in Alaska living in a shipping container…pretty interesting. Also, perhaps some artists in a struggling City like say Cincinnati (sorry Cincy I love you and you have the best murals) doing that would work too. They work in downtown Vegas which struggles mightily compared to the strip (they have a container park in downtown). Downtown Raleigh? Just the same old piggy back, can’t come up with anything on its own place. I was starting to like 1960’s era strip shopping centers for some reason, and I finally realized its because people are doing things in them that are unique and weird on shoestring budgets and not trying to copy other cities, or coattail in on trends. Having ranted on there, Raleigh was always a leading edge modernist city and I think embracing that is still a good go-to identity. Interestingly, those 1960’s shopping centers coincide with the original modernist era, so maybe that explains me a little…who knows.

4 Likes

Just saw that their are “For Lease” signs on both of One Glenwoods retail spaces. Maybe Dram and Draught backed out? Could also just be extra advertising for the one open space.

Just saw this too. I’m actually at dram and draught now and plan to ask

They are still moving in. It’s for the other retail spaces. I wish this whole thing would keep moving tho. I thought they were gonna be starting on phase 2 as soon as construction of One Glenwood wrapped up, but no demolition, no start of Dram and Draught’s new space, and no updates.

4 Likes

I finally ended up on the construction cam!
That’s my dog and I in the bottom right corner.
DogWalk

12 Likes

Lol, I thought the truck was you, and then I read the second line.

5 Likes

Coming soon sign was put up a few days ago.

6 Likes

Yay! I was just over there taking in the views from the parking deck on this nice day.

Development Beat is reporting work has begun on Dram and Draught’s new location. Says they are beginning construction while the current location remains open.

3 Likes

Interesting. Nothing had been done when I was there Saturday, but the webcam shows an orange cone or something in the doorway this morning. Been waiting for this to start, since they can’t demo the old location till this is finished, and they can’t start the rest of Bloc 83 till the old location is demoed.

Actually happened by there today, and indeed they have started work!

10 Likes

Might need to have a future DTRaleigh meetup there!

4 Likes

Last floor going up.

9 Likes

In sadder news

6 Likes

I can see why that pizza place closed. It was going to be surround by ugly parking lots.

8 Likes

The cladding on that parking deck is rough.

1 Like