Bloc 83 - One Glenwood and Origin Hotel

The pizza place closed bc they weren’t very good at running a restaurant. The site sat unspoken for for about a week until Calevera scooped it up.

3 Likes

If we are going to need parking garages, why can’t they be a little more creative in how they are clad? There’s all sorts of things that can be done from LED lighting effects, plantings, and mechanical installations like the shimmer wall. There’s a real opportunity here to do something special since the only experience that matters is the one comes from outside of it.

4 Likes

Wow the video is great, thanks for sharing - Tower two looks great!

It slipped my mind that the second garage actually is in line with Tower 1 and 2 between Hillsborough and Morgan! I thought it was south of Morgan where the planned parenthood center is
They better come up with the prettiest garage screening in the country

maybe this has been covered before this there seems to be a huge amount of parking for just the two buildings and hotel ???

Looks coolio from this vantage.

16 Likes

That’s because they didn’t include the other parking deck! :joy::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

They knew the shot would look bad with it included. Haha.

1 Like

Seems an excellent opportunity for outside greenery, live plants that will help the air around all those cars and soften the building.

3 Likes

Too bad the developer didn’t pursue a taller building at 2Hillsborough. If they had, then both buildings could have had terrific views of DT from their upper floors.

2 Likes

There will be more buildings long term.

So many “money shots” making it hard to choose just one…Lol A truly great place to be and see the urbanization of DTR :heart:

2 Likes

The website indicates Tower Two will be breaking ground this summer. With the exception of the parking deck, I’m really looking forward to this!

3 Likes

Tower Two actually looks pretty awesome for Raleigh… In my opinion. Really excited about this!

3 Likes

I agree, it’s decent! I’m just hoping the same thing doesn’t happen as Gensler’s tower in downtown Durham. The built project is a complete let down compared to the marketing material. I always try to keep a healthy bit of suspicion when I see these flashy renderings for developer-drive projects.

1 Like

Yeah, that was really smart, move out when thousands of customers are set to move in. Brilliant.

Which tower is this?

Van Alen. All the details and subtle design moves that really made it stand out in the renderings have been eliminated. The material palette looks to have been VE’d, the proportions of the base are clumsy compared to the original design, and some other things like the misalignment of the roof canopy are just ???

Tower 2 at One Glenwood is Gensler too, so I hope this doesn’t happen again.

5 Likes

Where did you get that picture of the Van Alen. Was it a cam of the project?

1 Like

Without seeing the plans, but that rendering clearly is not what was built, which means somewhere between that rendering and start of construction, the architect made major changes to the plans. No idea why though without more information. It could have been the city during approval process required changes. It could have been certain aspects of the design would not work due to construction or cost restraints and the plans had to be reworked. From a construction aspect, those are drastically different buildings and designs.

2 Likes

Yes, for sure. As an architect myself though, I ultimately consider it the architect’s responsibility to maintain the spirit and quality of the design in the face of challenges. Of course, the realities of budget, construction, and the whims of clients may have made that challenging, but at the end of the day the final result is a complete let down from the marketing materials. I would expect more from Gensler and can only imagine they encountered extreme challenges when actually getting this thing built.

I can imagine a shiny rendering being produced, the project going to bid and coming in way over what the developer wanted to spend, and then major value engineering occurring. Whatever happened, I find it dishonest of the developer to use outdated renderings all the way through to construction. If I signed a lease for an office or apartment in this complex based on a rendering of a previous design of a higher caliber, I’d be pissed. I hope this doesn’t happen at One Glenwood.

4 Likes