Bloc 83 - One Glenwood, Two Hillsborough, and Phase 3

I like the way you think…

Now, come up with an app for that and make some money…Lol :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This seriously sounds like a good startup idea, even (…though I’d be a bit concerned if the parking operator can get your personal information just by taking a photo of your license plate. It’s one thing if it’s the state DoT, but a private entity is a different story)

1 Like

540 is done by a private company not the DOT. The DOT hired them but it’s still a private company.

You can bet your bottom dollar that on-street parking won’t be free forever DT. In some cities, street parking is being made purposely more expensive to push people into parking garages.

When the city center becomes more self sustaining with local residents supporting local businesses, the cries for free street parking by the business community will quiet.

When the city center becomes more populated, parking spaces within neighborhoods can become zoned for those residents only, if it becomes impossible for those residents to find parking for themselves, or if people find their DT adjacent neighborhoods overrun by others’ cars.

Free parking is not a right; it’s more of a temporary privilege.

4 Likes

I believe this has already happened in Oakwood around Person St.
Parking there is by Permit Only at times.

2 Likes

Its 5 bucks to park in the deck on weekends and its almost entirely hassle free, a pint of beer will cost you 6. Ill take that every time over battling for on street parking.

7 Likes

I rarely ever have an issue finding parking. I’m glad you enjoy the parking decks :+1:.

Wilmington Deck already has that and I regularly have irritated drivers almost hit me. I am cautious of course, but am not shy about reminding them *they are the secondary mode here.

Just include it in the Quickpass system somehow…?

Current status. No updates really, just level setting before we see demolition this year.

5 Likes

I think you and I are walking the same path today

It makes me sad that we are going to lose the old station that’s now Dram&Draught. Is it possible that it’s going to be moved, and I just haven’t heard about it yet?

2 Likes

I suspect a gas station / garage built on a slab isn’t a prime candidate to be moved. When I lived in Orlando in the 80’s I saw many houses built on slabs moved, but have never seen it in our heavy clay soils.

No. They’re moving into the new space. As soon as demo permits are issued, it’s gone.

2 Likes

They’ll also have to remove those underground gas tanks and probably remove any contaminated soil. I am surprised test wells haven’t been drilled to see if there is plume.

There are monitoring wells on the adjacent properties, likely from a UST release at this property. ( I did a Phase I and Phase II on the former Shelton Furniture several years ago)

Ah, ok. There was also a gas tank under the Glenwood extension between Morgan and Hillsborough. Any idea if that was taken out back then (80’s I think). This is just a curiosity of mine and not really relevant to Bloc 83. As an aside, I think quite a few USTs are still in situ with new stuff built over them downtown but am not sure. SW corner of Peace/Person had one for instance. I never saw it dug up after the State moved off the property. I am glad bloc 83 will be dealt with properly at least. Also MyWay Tavern sits on a UST site.

I was working for a different company at the time, so I don’t have access to my old report. I just remember walking in the vicinity and noting several monitoring wells in the area. I am sure I pulled all the environmental databases in the area of the property, but don’t recall any specifics. The thing I do remember was how cool the old Sanborn maps were of the area. I think I may have saved a copy of them somewhere just for my own amusement.

1 Like

Does anyone have any knowledge when phase 2 of this is starting? I’ve expected demolition and ground floor approvals for phase 1 to be going soon but have heard nothing. Is this starting to stall or hit delays?

2 Likes

My guess is not until D&D is moved but probably not long after?