Bloc 83 - One Glenwood, Two Hillsborough, and Phase 3

Clearly that building has its days numbered. I can imagine another Origin Hotel type building there to hide the garage. I’m not saying that it becomes a hotel, rather it’s just a facade type building. Housing maybe?

2 Likes

That parking deck totally flouts the rules of massing and association. Unless, as the opinion of this group is leaning, that building’s days are numbered.

1 Like

I hope they paint a mural on that parking deck.
My office will no longer have sunlight next door. Thanks Captialism.

Do we know the total proposed height of Block 83. I keep reading 9 but I swear somewhere I saw 20 which would be outrageous for the area.

The main issue I have with the mid rises is the inconsistency with placement. Group them all together to make one section really dense and then expand from there.

Capitalism is why you have an office building.

9 story deck, 10 story office buildings.

They are grouped together in one section. The rest of the area will probably be brought in line. Picture Fayetteville St in 1880…

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Is it just me, or is that parking deck way more imposing than the renderings depicted? This is like deja vu with Smoky Hollow. The phase 2 garage is much taller than I expected from those renderings too.

8 Likes

I realize parking is necessary with our current built environment, but wow, that deck is rough, especially, as others have said, in that last pic.

I think that is kind of neat older building, but yeah, it looks dwarfed and sad now. Maybe it will get torn down and something taller will be put there that will hide more of the deck, but that would still be kind of a shame to lose a cool older building like that.

5 Likes

I’d like to understand more about what you meant by “Thanks Capitalism”. About 90 percent of what is discussed on this entire forum is about the product of capitalism.

4 Likes

You never know. An identical building at Edenton/Blount was bought, nicely upfitted, and is now commanding pretty high rents.

3 Likes

Well, to be fair, that Edenton building doesn’t have a huge parking garage visually sitting on top of it.
I find it difficult to imagine that the owner of the property would want to invest in the existing building while asking half of the residents there to look out their window into a concrete wall. I also can’t imagine that the property owner won’t want to leverage going up to the height of the new garage to create more revenue.
Also, while the cute, “historic” existing building only highlights how offensive that garage is, a new modern building on that corner may help mitigate it by not providing such stark contrast.

1 Like

Unless it has a parking podium :wink:

Tower Two crane is gone. :sob:
Got some sunrise aerial shots but there’s a missing crane!

1 Like

Crane is gone which is bitter sweet. We’re reached a construction milestone for the building, but we like cranes. This will be an interesting progress pic then to show an after pic in a year.

19 Likes

Some fun with the DJI sphere editor.

15 Likes

I think its just 6 units so each resident has to look at the deck and has unobstructed views on the other sides.

Also, this is like mitigating racism by making everyone the same color. No justification in my mind to get rid of the better, older building.

1 Like

I for one would like to see the older building remain, and have the deck become an art canvas to help cover up its ugliness. We need these pockets of “historic” buildings to help with character. Tearing it down means we lose some of the layers that make this area great. Not everything should be stark, grey, flashy, and clean.

2 Likes

I don’t think its going away too soon:

• A friend lives there and all leases have been renewed.
  • the current landlord did not sell to Heritage Property (I am sure they tried hard to assemble that block as well) At guessing 12-14k per month rental income on the 0.15 acres the land would be pricey comparably
5 Likes

I’m pissed about that deck. They could have converted the front 1/3 of the deck facing Hillsborough into a liner apartment building and still met code for minimum parking requirements. Their lender insisted on the excessive parking ratio.

I predict that the top 2 levels of that deck will never see more than 25% occupancy. That is where a maximum parking quota could come into play.

5 Likes

I really get the impression that between the Origin deck and Bloc 83 deck, there is enough capacity for additional buildings that have not been publically disclosed at this time. AND, IMO, I would rather see stand alone parking decks that can later been torn down and redeveloped as buildings in the future. What we are seeing with 301 Hillsborough and North Hills (parking podium + building) is going to be with us a lot longer than these stand alone decks that will hopefully not be necessary several decades in the future once transit and density increases.

5 Likes

Agree… who wants to do the tedious drive to the top of this tall deck? If you ever drive to the top of the RDU garage, it just goes on and on. And that’s a spiral ramp. This garage will take even longer to drive to the top.

2 Likes