Bloc 83 - One Glenwood, Two Hillsborough, and Phase 3

Hopefully he tied off correctly!

2 Likes

Reminds me of lunch atop a skyscraper…

1 Like

Hopefully. You can see his tether wrapped around the column, but no way to tell if it’s clipped or tied in a knot…

I will repeat that the parking deck is providing a significantly greater number of parking spaces than code requires.

By my calculation they could have reduced the deck footprint by 1/3, put in a liner building (likely hotel or apartments) and still met code (or at least come extremely close) for minimum parking spaces.

This is the clearest sign that I have seen that making the current parking minimums into maximums is the right call.

If their lender still insists on more parking than that, let them plead their case to CC with a conditional use rezoning.

3 Likes

Clearly the developer’s decisions were based on their fear that they wouldn’t be able to lease the office space without enough parking. As sad as this is for what parking does to the landscape, it’s the reality that we live in without transit options. I can tell you from experience that parking matters when it comes to leasing space.

3 Likes

These stairs seem dangerous… Might need a railing or something :grin:

17 Likes

I’m hopeful that since they built two oversized decks, there will be no parking component to the forthcoming Phase III (maybe Phase IV as well) since they clearly over built for parking of Phase I/II/Origin.

5 Likes

I have a bad feeling that’s wishful thinking, but I truly hope you’re correct.

1 Like

Do we have any idea when the parking garage will actually be complete? Being one of those living in the brick houses, it’s getting old waking up to the melody of generators, power tools, and steel clanging :sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face:

They said on the virtual tour last month that Boylan Ave was reopening in December. So definitely by then, but the main deck seems to be done. The rest should be more minor (and hopefully quieter) work.

@Haddidi, welcome to the forum! I wish your first post had been on a more positive note, but I can certainly relate to the construction noise living adjacent to Smokey Hollow. Stay positive and again, welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Yeah but that would really spoil the aesthetics.

Thanks, thats not too bad. It quieted down for a while then recently picked up major steam. All good though it’ll be worth it when all is said and done

1 Like

Haha so even the sunshine emoji’s weren’t enough. It’s been loud these days, making me reach out here, but happy to find a vibrant discussion on the development!

4 Likes

The sidewalk will be quite a bit more dangerous with all those cars coming and going all day.

17 Likes

For those interested in Phase 3 here is a link to the zoning request. Looks like 18 stories to me

https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/drupal-prod/COR22/Z-021-20.pdf

11 Likes

Wow. Going for DX-20-UL-CU though height limit says no more than 18 stories (as @Stan3 mentioned).
Active use for ground stories with the exception of parking entrances (seems parking pedestal?).
Mix of office and retail (seems no resi).
Traffic Analysis will be performed for the rezoning.
Development depends on demand and economy…
No impact to historical buildings.
The two houses on Boylan are spared:

6 Likes

Is more parking really needed here?? :sob:

3 Likes

Neighborhood meeting with Boylan residents could get interesting. I personally would love that height there