Bloc 83 - One Glenwood, Two Hillsborough, and Phase 3

So much concrete… definitely want to see this screening get done.

13 Likes

Maybe I missed it, but does phase 3 go all the way to Hargett?

There are two stately old homes there (divided into lowercase “a” affordable apartments). They’re not in the best of shape, but it will be a shame to lose them and the workforce housing they provide. Not many like that left anymore.

3 Likes

No. Those plots/homes are not part of Phase III Block 83.

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m sure they’re not long for this world either way.

Aw really? I was actually hoping they would go too. They look like shitty frat houses to me.

2 Likes

It’s stunning how much of a wall this creates on the south side of HIllsborough.

2 Likes

The brick one (by far the best one and at this point, unique in Raleigh) was owned by Cityspace last I knew. The current LLC name of ‘Raleigh Florence St’ suggests that might still be the case. Its an awesome house.

1 Like

I had the same thought. It is truly awful. You’d think this is some of the most valuable, or at least prestigious property in town, dedicated to this giant auto storage temple.

Repeated an earlier comment - It would be cool to see them carry the courtyard over to phase 3 & Orgin/deck area. Though it appears that they might not own the whole block. How awesome if it extended back to Hargett, you’d get the start of a great transition from Warehouse to Hillsboro then on to GlenSou

3 Likes

I was thinking that there was going to be a retail ‘wrap’ around this garage like Origin. I believe I was mistaken.

2 Likes

I think just retail on the ground floor? Similar to Alexander Sq deck?

1 Like

Correct. Ground floor retail, a glass elevator shaft on the corner, and then screening along the sides.

1 Like

My new hobby is trying to picture how the retail is going into the deck the way it is constructed. It looks like there isn’t a setup for it, but presumably they’ve got it figured out. I just have to wait and see.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m curious about that too. With the downward slanting concrete, it seems like a weird setup for retail space…

5 Likes

It’s an ugly and undesirable place :face_vomiting:

To refresh everyone’s memory, the site plan for the parking deck is SR-100-18 found earlier in this thread. There are three retail spaces on the Hillsborough side of the deck that could be consolidated into one contiguous space. And then there is a smaller retail space on Boylan just South of the glass stairwell/elevator at the corner.

1 Like

I am guessing it’ll be sort of an insert that can be easily removed the moment they declare they need the parking spaces.

1 Like

They do like their parking

In the top left of the picture you can spot the bravest man in the world… :grimacing:

20 Likes

That is crazy. There use to be a picture circulating around with a guy standing at the top of the PNC building when they were installing the spear that was really crazy!

1 Like