Branding Raleigh to the World

Leo is saying the video is a bad example of how we should be branding ourselves…

Forbes did a really good job capturing what cities like Raleigh (and MANY others) are guilty of:

in nearly all cases, the best city brands evolved organically, without the aid of the cities that benefited from them. All too often, they passively accept the image bestowed on them by [others, good or bad].
[…]
Worse yet are the cities that have struggled with clunky branding efforts because they’re desperate to appeal to the market segment they want, rather than build constructively on the image they already have.

Detroit probably has a really good hint that we may be able to use to our advantage, though.

When I think of effective branding campaigns, I’m reminded of the “Imported From Detroit” Chrysler commercial that aired during the 2011 Super Bowl. Although it’s intended to sell a car, it conveys a message of a city that’s been fortified by its troubles and is better for it. In fact, it conveys a message that Detroit seeks more people who fit that profile — willing and able to accept the challenge of seeking success in a tough environment.

This wasn’t something that the city wanted to embrace at first (remember that the Great Recession and the bailout of the auto industry happened just a few years before then). Even though city leaders didn’t feel up to the task, private industry was more willing to be objective and leverage the perception that the average American consumer really had of Detroit.

(Also see similar coverage from BBC, the Guardian, and the New York Times.)

If we use this general mindset to try to answer Leo’s question…

…I don’t think any one person or entity really has “control” or “stake” over how Raleigh is perceived.

There’s some vague understanding that Raleigh is in the South, it’s a research/healthcare/tech hub (I’ve advocated on this forum before that this should be the core of a regional brand. More than once.), there’s a lot of universities nearby, and it’s pretty active and green as far as a metro region is concerned.

But none of those things answer who is from Raleigh. What are they capable of? Why do they matter? I don’t think anyone currently has control over an answer to that question… but maybe we should start by asking ourselves this, since it’s central to understanding our own brand.

4 Likes