Branding Raleigh to the World

Raleigh: We don’t need no stinking slogan.

1 Like

Ha, I am guilty of not reading the whole thread and thus repeating your thought Jos. Great minds and all that.

1 Like

R.esearch Minded
A.ccessibile Culture
L.ivable City
E.nergetic Community
I.nnovative Industry
G.enteel Environs
H.appy to Grow

3 Likes

Or put another way…

Raleigh is…

Maybe we should just be the Top 10 city in all polls and rankings

3 Likes

Another top 10:

2 Likes

What about just using the area code as a our slogan? Richmond has adopted “The 804” (and “RVA”) as an identity of sorts. So why not “The 919” or “RGH”? True, the area code covers a larger area than just the Raleigh or the Triangle for that matter. But just own it and it will become a thing.

Full disclosure, I still have an 804 area code, holding onto my old ties to RVA. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Area code 984 overlaps the 919 area code. Currently, the largest city it serves is Raleigh, and was first put in service April 30, 2012. So we are two numbers now, not just the 919.

1 Like

True, but people don’t think of Raleigh and the Triangle as the “984” the same way they associate with “919”.

Case in point: Steve Malik’s old MLS bid (#919toMLS) or the logo for the new MLB campaign they’re talking about in the stadium thread. People already rally behind “919”, so it has more staying power.

Also, I thought we were moving onto talking about branding strategies and we’re done with coming up with slogans. But I guess we’re not?

3 Likes

Raleigh - On every top ten list you’ve never heard of.

5 Likes

“Raleigh remains a somewhat staid government town with major sprawl issues. Downtown is undeniably handsome, though, and is home to some top-notch (and free!) museums and galleries, while the food and music scenes are on a definite upswing.”

Not sure how often Lonely Planet updates their description for secondary cities in the U.S. but thought this is an interesting perception reality check for somebody out of state or international looking at a travel guide.

6 Likes

“town with major sprawl issues.”

That can be said of just about any metro area in North America.

3 Likes

Yeah looks like we’re having trouble explaining Raleigh in words. Maybe we don’t have to. Remember to be rather than to seem. We can just have a Hear. Touch. Taste. See. Campaign. Showcase Raleigh by how the locals experience it. I can make four really cool tourist videos based off this concept. I’ll see what I can do.

5 Likes

Yep really started in 1950 as cities just spread out. A few years about the The Economist did a story on sprawl that started with something like “LA 100 suburbs in search of a city”. Nice to see center cities be reborn, just wish was not so expensive.

2 Likes

Peace Street Bridge just ate another semi truck. I got it. Raleigh: The Truck Killers.

4 Likes

Relocated
And
Local
Engineers
In
Giant
Houses

(This is one that I made up a couple of decades ago)

5 Likes

Do we really want to start a pissing match with Durham? Their truck eating bridge has its own brand already: 11 Foot 8 Bridge, and its own wiki page. Norfolk Southern–Gregson Street Overpass - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Raleigh, America’s Creamed Corn Capital
Warm, Creamy, Corny, Raleigh

3 Likes

That’ll work for Mr. Hanky.

2 Likes

As can “handsome downtown with museums, galleries, and a food and music scene in upswing”

1 Like