Business Relocation/Economic Expansion

500-600 beds would make it one of the 5 or 6 largest Children’s Hospitals in the US.

My wife has fond memories working at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (which has 650+ beds). The level of care delivered there is well beyond anything we have in the state. It would be fantastic to have a hospital with capabilities like that serving NC.

My quick amateur Google search shows a few pieces of land in Fuquay that are big enough, but not much else.

2 Likes

Swing Racquet + Paddle seems to finally be moving forward. The City of Raleigh is putting up $10m for the project (which surprisingly passed unanimously). Supposedly they are shovel ready and will break ground this summer. It’ll be a $125m project. 25 pickleball courts, 28 tennis courts, park space, walking trails, Wilson’s racket innovation hub, and a tennis academy on site.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2024/02/20/raleigh-funds-swing-racquet-pickleball-facility.html

7 Likes

Chatham Park. Pittsboro, NC, USA.

I hope it really moves forward this time. I seem to remember them doing a groundbreaking like two years ago…then nothing.

slightly off topic . nice series of events for tennis enthusiasts to ‘go on tour’.
https://www.nctennis.com/tarheeltrail i recently played greensboro indoor…good time and you always come away a better player after these events.

The Japanese prime minister is doing two things when in the US: a state dinner at the White House, and coming to Raleigh to announce something with Gov. Cooper (along with having lunch here prepared by Ashley Christensen). That’s pretty cool.

31 Likes

The governor should say Konnichiwa and a few greeting words in Japanese to make him comfortable. I didn’t know that we had a large Japanese population enough to get the president of Japan’s support.

Think it’s more about the large-scale business investment flowing both ways. From the article:

Japan is … the largest source of foreign investment in North Carolina.

1 Like

CBS News is adding a bureau in Raleigh. I know someone in the news business who tells me stuff like this. But CBS has chosen Raleigh for its bureau, this isn’t the first time a network has added a bureau to North Carolina NBC news channel is based out of CLT.

13 Likes
13 Likes

That new Toyota battery plant outside Greensboro is already a huge deal – 5,000 jobs projected by opening in 2025 and $14B invested

7 Likes

If this is big, it could be the gateway for so many things. Say it’s more biotech development, that would put us on the global map more than it already is. And perhaps a flight to Asia someday too.

5 Likes

Hopefully Wolfspeed can fight this guy off…but they need to boost their business otherwise we risk losing a large & growing HQ’s technology company.

Drove by the SIler City plant today. It is massive. Still under construction, but moving quickly. The Toyota battery plant is only about 10 miles from this, it’s even bigger. Vin Fast probably ain’t gonna happen. We all knew that was a gamble anyway. Should have held that site out for a more established company.

8 Likes

It could make us a Fortune 500, don’t sleep on activist shareholding there mostly successful.

How does getting acquired make a Fortune 500 company in Raleigh???

Because it can raise the revenue of a company $7 billion is needed to get into a Fortune 500 list. So activist shareholders come take money and raise revenue by fighting for the right things for the company financially.

Right now First Citizens is on it way, and could land us the 3rd fortune 500 company based in our metro. There already 2 Advance Auto parts and Iquvia.

If the company that acquires Wolfspeed moves their HQ to Raleigh. But if Wolfspeed is acquired, it only makes the other company closer to F500 and wherever they are are HQ’d gets that bragging right.

1 Like

That the research triangle depends if it’s on the Raleigh side.

1 Like

To clarify – an activist investor is urging Wolfspeed to sell, which would mean it would be acquired by a company, most likely one that is headquartered outside of NC, not to mention RTP. If it is acquired, Wolfspeed is no more unless the company that purchased it wanted to rebrand as Wolfspeed. It would also mean a loss of a HQ for the state and metro area unless that same company relocated its own HQ to the area.

There are positives to both sides, but Wolfspeed being acquired does not give RTP another F500 HQ unless a lot of other things happen. At the present, Wolfspeed isn’t even on the F1000. They barely broke $1b in revenue, which is what Fortune measures, and the F1000 needs at least $2.3b (I believe…I could be off a couple million).

I appreciate your earnest hopefulness that the acquisition of Wolfspeed could gain the area another F500 headquarter, but it will most likely not. Will it bring a potential new business to the region? Sure, but only in terms of locating workers. I’d rather Wolfspeed stay as it is. Activist investors are only about their own investment ($$$$), so this urging is so that Jana can get a big payout. Not a problem, this is business, but it still would suck.

3 Likes