Business Relocation/Economic Expansion

Jana doesn’t play. They did the same to Whole Foods and then sold it to Amazon for a big lick. Wolfspeed’s stock is stuck and underperforming related to its peers. Probably could easily double your money by buying some Wolfspeed stock currently. However this is not a Wallstreetbets forum. So I will leave it there .

2 Likes

Meanwhile….

When is Raleigh-RTP going to join the cool kid club? 3 major Tier-1 research universities. Austin - 1….not really “top tier”

Nashville - 1 ish. On par with Wake Forest

5 Likes

Hah did you just say Texas (32) isn’t on a par with any of the Triangle universities (7, 22, 60) and Vanderbilt (18) is like Wake Forest (47)? That’s silly. Of course, in the end they’re all good-to-elite schools with enormous research budgets and facilities.

(USNWR’s admittedly very flawed rankings in the parentheses)

3 Likes

Brand, Brand, Brand, Brand, Brand, Brand…
Did I say BRAND?

2 Likes

It simply city branding were poor at that. Honestly Raleigh should claim RTP if it came to that issue.

Ok, I’ll play antagonist here:

This makes sense for Nashville bc of HCA which is HQ’d out of Nashville. It’s a massive corporation (66 on the F500), so it makes sense to be where the big dogs are. I don’t think of this as anything to do with how “hot” Nashville is, but rather how engrained the city is with corporate healthcare. Plus, this is the second move in four years for Oracle. Who’s to say they will stay in Nashville?

4 Likes

Yup. They explicitly said they wanted to be near the big healthcare systems because that’s where the monster enterprise IT spend is right now.

1 Like

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/svb-owner-first-citizens-profit-beats-estimates-interest-income-strength-2024-04-25/

Raleigh’s 2nd F500 HQ company. Need Labcorp to move East.

3 Likes

Is First Citizens actually a Fortune 500 company? I don’t see that in the article, and last time I checked it was close, but not there (in the 600’s)

The F500 for 2024 hasn’t been announced yet (usually early summer due to End of Fiscal Year timing). It’s assumed that the SVB purchase has made FCB a member of the list bc the revenues match that of other entries. So, I would say it is going to be on the list, but who knows.

3 Likes

SFBJ (lol) article mentioned that SVB would be taking space in downtown Raleigh. Not much more information than that. https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2024/04/02/svb-first-citizens-raleigh-durham.html

I’d assume old man Holding will put them in the half-empty FCB building to save a nickel

2 Likes

It will be when the new list comes this summer. “Fortune” is a magazine that lists public companies based on revenue…$6B is around the current threshold. FCB was almost $4B for just Q4 2023.

1 Like

TBJ published an update on the Disney investment with Epic Games, but not much really to report. Here’s a summary of the article. Full article here.

The article discusses the partnership between The Walt Disney Company and Epic Games, with Disney investing $1.5 billion in Epic Games to collaborate on a new games and entertainment universe based on Disney stories. Epic Games is currently hiring experienced video game personnel in Cary for key roles related to the partnership. The potential positions include concept artists, gameplay programmers, and animators. Disney’s CEO Bob Iger views this partnership as a way to connect with younger consumers who are avid gamers, such as Gen Z and Gen Alpha. The companies are working on creating a Disney universe that will allow consumers to engage with Disney intellectual properties along with those of Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars. The exact timeline for the launch of this project is still unspecified, but it is estimated to be a few years away.

The last bit of the article just says Epic hasn’t released any news on the Cary Towne Center project.

6 Likes

Fortnite land still waiting for them to tear down Cary Towne Center and make it to an amusement park. That Cary location is great for it.

6 Likes

Yeah, lot’s of parking. :wink:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2024/05/09/jti-tobacco-headquarters-raleigh-north-hills.html

3 Likes

Nothing says modern city like a tobacco company… do normal people still even smoke anymore?

My neighbors do… much to my dismay

1 Like

Have you been to Europe?

3 Likes

If people are going to smoke, we might as well get their cash. They still grow tobacco in NC, we should have the white collar work, too.

Besides, it’s not like having legacy tobacco companies in the state will change how we’re viewed - our most famous national event is the Tobacco Road rivalry!

4 Likes