Business Relocation/Economic Expansion

And basically anywhere that isn’t the US. Vaping is also very popular here now as well, which is also tobacco

…yeah, tobacco! That’s what is in my vapes, definitely just tobacco not anything other than regular ol’ normal ol’ tobacco! How are you today, officer?

3 Likes

There’s vaping, that what’s keeping it alive.

It’s 100 reasonably high paying jobs…….not a vape shop.

I will take it

4 Likes

What’s your deal with vape shops?

1 Like

Have you seen some of them?

You mean 99% of them?

They are like mini-marts they just don’t sell vapes. I’ve been to the vape shop on Peace Street I think I went there briefly during our Hibernian pub meetup. The vape shop I went to on Peace Street was amazing when I went inside I felt like I was in Dubai it was so gold everywhere. I thought this place was a desserty store, they had all kinds of vapes. In fact, I felt like a kid in a candy shop seeing all those vapes. So no not all of them are bad, the best vape shops are by the colleges anyway. Also, vape stores give you stamps too, and after 6 visits you get a free vape.

Are they still activating their cheap-ass Las Vegas wannabe building edge light show?

3 Likes

Look they’re profitable businesses, they can do whatever they want and Raleigh government can’t ban them. If you don’t like it don’t go, but people like me relate to those stores cause I go buy from them weekly. @John please don’t run for office because i could see you trying to ban them.

They’re trying to do that in NYC it’s unfair you can’t close businesses.

1 Like

Anyone able to see behind the TBJ firewall regarding Apple?

My guess is the article is a nothingburger. Why would Apple talk to them??

ABC11 has a “story” as well which tells you nothing also.

Their paywall has gotten more aggressive but basically looks like everything is still in limbo despite all the initial fanfare. So pretty much like everything else we’ve been waiting on.

Probably waiting on interest rates to go down, before starting construction.

When you are sitting on $200B in cash interest rates aren’t that significant for a new construction project. For whatever reason they have decided that building this campus is not a priority. Meanwhile they are still hiring and adding to headcount here. Huge bummer and hard to understand.

3 Likes

Perhaps waiting out the election before fully investing in a big development here… Mark Robinson looms over everything this year and it’s gonna be bad for business.

5 Likes

Possibly. However, its interesting how NC always seems to be held to such a ‘high standard’ when it comes to politics by businesses while states like Florida, Texas, and Georgia get a pass and never seem to face the same issues.

6 Likes

True. The HB2 fiasco already impacted this project initially. Or it may have already been built.

Now we have our legislature putting in the Mask ban. This is just a preview of the circus to come if Robinson gets elected.

5 Likes

Florida and Texas are so big they can’t be ignored, and their politicians know it. Georgia has pretty similar politics to NC, but Atlanta is essentially the capital of the South and has the busiest airport in the world.

We’re the largest Southern state that companies can afford to make an example of.

10 Likes

Never thought about it that way and that actually makes pretty good sense.

NC took a different path from GA, FL, TX in its growth. It was never a “low tax” state, at least by southern standards, and until 2011 it was run very differently from other southern states. Consequently the people and businesses living here are here for different reasons.

Good schools (historically), a large state park system which is free to visit, we don’t have confederate monuments carved into our natural heritage, and we’re the only state in the south whose largest employer isn’t Wal-Mart. We attracted high tech industry by having a large educated workforce that was cheaper than other states that offered the same training.

The companies moving to TN, TX, and FL are attracted to their low tax environment.

The companies moving to NC historically were attracted to the lax regulatory environment, but also the COL plus highly educated workforce.

NC will struggle to attract the highly educated workers it needs for its STEM industries if its politics become too hostile. I think we’ve already seen it a bit.

7 Likes