CAM Block Redevelopment

The more telling question is, ‘Are there affordable housing units in the new builds at North Hills?’

1 Like

If Kane doesn’t have to ask for any kind of rezoning then I believe the Council has no way of forcing them to do AH.

Gonna have to widen the lens for the South Saunders money shot to get this tallishness all in.

1 Like

Legally the council doesn’t have any way to force a developer to include AH at all but no one has called their bluff and if the zoning is denied get litigious.
But building to current zoning allows them to bypass the council altogether I believe.

5 Likes

But hey- why be mad that this development will include affordable housing efforts? Seriously? It got rezoning approval to go tall, it’s preserving historic facades and building materials, and it is pledging some affordable housing. This is a WIN-WIN-WIN. Why be upset by that? Some of us can’t afford $1500/mo for a closet, and to introduce more competitive rental pricing in the downtown area is WONDERFUL.

10 Likes

I’m not a huge proponent of affordable housing in everything downtown (surprise, I know). But exactly this. It’s going to be taller, and including affordable housing…by transit no less. No downside, this is a win for everyone.

Now get building!

8 Likes

But, all Stef, Dr. Cox, and Octavia see is this:

Change of the status quo is a scary thing which can be played up and pandered to during election cycles.

Actually, this was approved with Cox’s vote as well. I think all those you’ve mentioned would be happy about the AH aspect, height be damned.

1 Like

True. But, the scary monster will then go marching eastward.

Well, with unlimited heights to existing zoning at 20 floors, a developer could essentially just make every floor really tall so that each one has a integrated loft level in it, and voila, a 40 story building.

2 Likes

Idk why I’m just now hearing about this development. :man_shrugging: Saw this article in the Biz Journal.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :joy:

Lots of excitement around this block for sure.

1 Like

Weird…that’s paper. I had no idea there was a physical version.

1 Like

Sure is. You can find it at any Wake County library.

2 Likes

But is it for Free 99?

It is available to read free of charge in the magazine/newspaper reading area.

I wasn’t sure what chat to put this in but I saw a large group of I assume tourists listening to a tour guide across from CAM today. Has anyone else seen large tourist groups walking near the warehouse district lately?

5 Likes

Seemed like yesterday there were lots of people downtown. Is there some sort for convention this weekend? That may be it.

1 Like

Yes Galaxycon is going on at the convention center but the group seemed to be different from that because they weren’t dressed up and the tour guide had a Raleigh tour something shirt on.

6 Likes

I know there has to be another thread somewhere, but I’m too lazy to find it. Has anyone heard anything about the proposed 20 story building(s) on the CAM block? Or has that completely fallen aprart? When the renderings came out, I thought that would be really nice that close to the train station and Dillon. Still hope to see it happen someday.

4 Likes