Char Grill block rezoning

I always get the hamburger steak junior combo. There’s just something really satisfying eating that rectangle burger.

2 Likes

It would be amazing if they can move to a walk-up window only model. I mean, they practically already are but they have on-site parking. I’d like to think downtown has gotten to a point where a walk-up only institution that they are can be supported by walkers only.

plus parking isn’t that bad anywhere in DT so there’s that. :upside_down_face:

19 Likes

I don’t know. I only care about the hamburger steak, not so much the standing in the parking lot waiting for my food part.

1 Like

I agree. Then let’s push to get a La Sandwicherie! These are the types of businesses that downtown needs.

2 Likes

The Char Grill will very soon look out of place with all the new buildings going up all around it. I would like to see Char Grill modernize their locations/business model in order to stay relevant in our quickly urbanizing city landscape

8 Likes

oh man I love La Sandwicherie - it’s my go to place for lunch out at South Beach

1 Like

This would probably push me to the location on Atlantic and I will no longer have my weekly excursion into DTR proper (from Whitaker Mill area).

1 Like

They have a more modern, fast food, concepts out in Clayton. There was also one at White Oak in Garner years ago, but it closed pretty quickly.

1 Like

That’s kinda what I’ve learned with In-N-Out. Everyone who’s from there swears by it, most outsiders don’t get the hype (me being one of those outsiders). Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Though I will say, as someone who did not grow up on Cook Out, it seems to me like Cook Out actually does live up to the hype, from an affordability standpoint if anything. I’ve had multiple bands tell me that it’s their favorite part of touring the Southeast.

9 Likes

Cook Out is the best fast food burger by a mile IMO.

1 Like

What if I told you guys I have never been to Char Grill? Not a Raleigh native so do not know what I am missing, I guess.

…runs and hides.

5 Likes

Don’t forget the one at Edward’s Mill and Blue Ridge/Duraleigh in Ye Olde Raleigh Village.

If they were to lose the building and take a ground floor retail space, it would need to have the windows on at least two sides and the iconic overhang.

3 Likes

It’s good but not earth shattering. I think it’s more about the history and nostalgia than anything. And the fact that we can call it our own.

If I want a good fast food burger, I’ll drive past Char Grill to get to Cook Out. BUT, Char Grill is better than all the other fast food joints.

Ah, you got to try it my friend! Like @John said, the Hamburger steak Jr combo with cheese is the way to go.
I always appreciated how you can customize your sandwich - I grew up in an era when if you asked for a burger with no onions at McD’s it was a forever wait.

@colbyjd3 We got a Cook Out here in my 'ville a couple years back. It replaced the Hardees (which was a terrible example of that chain). I like it, so do a lot of the college/hs kids. But one of my older buddies called it carny food, lol. And it does remind me something I might get at a cheap fair. But some days, that is just what I crave.

2 Likes

And that right there is why they are so successful my friend! :point_up_2:

3 Likes

What’s funny is that I haven’t ordered anything but the hamburger steak junior over the course of many decades.

3 Likes

This is down the street from us, and we go often! There’s also one on Strickland near Six Forks.

2 Likes

True, I don’t think I’ve ever eaten anything else - well an occasional pie or milkshake.

That’s MINE! :wink: :rofl:
While I love the Steak Jr. and Hot dogs all the way, the single hamburger all the way is my favorite!
Now, add the Vanilla Ice-cream shake in a bowl with the hot Apple-Cinnamon Turnovers :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

2 Likes

The thing is…if you are going to get fries, it doesn’t make sense to get the Char Burger.
Char Burger + Fries = $5.48
Hamburger Steak Junior with Fries = $5.69
It’s literally just $0.21 difference.

1 Like