Char Grill block rezoning

Hamburger Steak Junior with all the toppings + Fries + Apple Turnover + Medium Water is my go to order

4 Likes

The great thing about their apple pies is that they are still fried unlike mcdonaldā€™s.
Also, will they give you water in a cup, or do they charge you for that?

1 Like

haha I was joking about the medium water but it is taped on the check-out window the prices for a small/medium/large cup of ice or water. Wonder if that went the way of faxing your order in.

1 Like

Wonā€™t be even close to La Sandwicherie but The Avenues is going to use Snoopys walk up window to serve food. Theyā€™re in the process upfitting the whole inside of the building.

5 Likes

IMO in this specific case I was referring simply to the taste. But yes, you are correct, a better value indeed. :money_mouth_face: :+1:

Iā€™m turning on the throttle on this thread.
(looks at settings)
Looks like I can only throttle myself. :man_facepalming:t3: :rofl:

I would like and In-and-Out, or a Jack In The Box I donā€™t care what yā€™all think on that. We need more.

1 Like

We had Jack in the Box down in SC. It was alright. Nothing that I miss.

And there is one on Atlantic Avenue, near the intersection of East Millbrook Rd. :hamburger:

2 Likes

A 20 story Char Grill sounds amazing!!!

5 Likes

Clearly it wonā€™t be as good as La Sandwicherie, unless it is a La Sandwicherie. While Iā€™m on the Miami Beach kick, I would also like a Pizza Rustica for nice large rectangle slices of yumminess.
Both of these businesses can be operated out of small retail spaces and this is the sort of RE supply that seems to be missing from all of these new shiny (and empty) mixed use projects.

6 Likes

In-N-Out is a joke right? you know they only open like 5 or 6 new locations a year and have none east of the mississippiā€¦ I saw an interview with the ceo and she said they have no plans as of right now to open a single location on the east coast and probably never will during her lifetime

1 Like

In my opinion with the type of money that is going in that area, I think a fast casual restaurant would be more appropriate in the new building. Maybe a Cava, or Chopped, or Panera Breadā€¦ something like thatā€¦ also keep in mind just across the train tracks there is a 6 or 7 story apartment going up so even if the office workers across the street are slow to return there will be other residents within 500 feet

1 Like

Iā€™d welcome a Panera downtown with open arms

1 Like

INO isnā€™t a joke, although Iā€™m partial because I used to work at one (shout out to Store #61, Vista.) Itā€™s a family owned business with no franchises. The reason theyā€™re only in a few states is because they wonā€™t open a new location more than 500 miles from one of their distribution centers. Theyā€™re a little OCD with their QC. Itā€™s controlled growth & itā€™s been working pretty well since 1947. Visit any location at any time and youā€™ll find cars wrapped around the block. I think another reason people like it so much is because the food is all fresh, & made to order. They donā€™t freeze their meat so itā€™s always used within two days of processing. Thereā€™s no microwaves or heat lamps and thereā€™s a noticeable difference in the quality of the food vs other burger joints. I always used to laugh when Iā€™d go in the walk in cooler & thereā€™d be 3 or 4 cases of lettuce & tomatoes, a few buckets of pickles, some cheese, & the shake mix. Thatā€™s it. So much wasted space because very little was kept on hand due to shipments every other day, even in that high volume setting. INO has always been known to take care of their employees & pay a few bucks an hour over minimum wage because they want smart, energetic, friendly employees, not lumps of sh*t that donā€™t even say hello when you order. Last November when I was out there, they were hiring starting at $19.00/hr. Thatā€™s entry level too so it means youā€™d be taking orders & keeping up with the dining area & trash, etc. Not bad for a high school gig. Managers can make $140k+/year pretty easily & most stay with the company almost 20 years on average. Thereā€™s always a ā€œwaiting listā€ to work there. Sorry for writing a book, now I want a Double Double Animal Style!

12 Likes

lmao I enjoyed your ā€œbookā€ā€¦ I use to live in california and then texas and both had in-n-outs in the cities I lived in. Iā€™d LOVE to have one here in raleigh however Iā€™ve read many interviews which made it clear that expansion is a very meticulous process for them and so it would be highly unrealistic to expect one to move into the current Char Grill building (or whatever building comes in to replace it)

Came here to say this. Move them to One Glenwood. The building is distinctive but a miserably poor use of its site

5 Likes

A walk-up CharGrill would have been a great tenant for the outbuildings in the plaza between OneGlenwod and TwoHillsborough.

4 Likes

I guess here or here? I guesssss, but man, just doesnā€™t have the same feel.

3 Likes

Itā€™s just not the same if itā€™s not venting smoke and grease all over the neighborhood.
Delicious smoke and grease.

13 Likes