Char Grill block rezoning

20-story rezoning might take out the Char Grill. I knew this day would come! This is from the neighborhood meeting post on the wire.

This proposal would rezone the Site to Downtown Mixed Use-20 Stories-Shopfront Frontage-with Conditions (DX-20-SH-CU).

13 Likes

20 story rezoning… we riot if they tear down Char-Grill

6 Likes

Losing Char-Grill downtown would be truly tragic.
The house on the corner of Boylan and Willard is pretty historic as well, as I recall.

7 Likes

As I periodically proclaim, I don’t care about Char Grill. I’m going to show up to speak in support of whatever they’re doing, as long as they promise to tear down Char Grill.
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:grumpy_cat:

Edit: The most annoying part about this is actually that it doesn’t take over the old hot dog place or the crappy bar ruining everyone’s stay at the AC Hotel, so that crap will probably stay around awhile now.

3 Likes

I like Char Grill & I’ve got some good late night memories here, but I’d happily trade it for a shiny new In N Out Burger on the ground floor of a new blue glass box.

5 Likes

You ever had their hamburger steak? Their cheeseburgers aren’t something to brag about, and that’s typically the mistake people make going there.

Speaking of which, I may have to swing by during lunch and get one.

3 Likes

Is the problem that the cheese isn’t very good? Or is the hamburger somehow different from the cheeseburger beyond the basic addition?

It has nothing to do with the cheese, in fact most people add cheese to the hamburger steak.

They’re two different sandwiches with different sized patty’s, buns and ingredients.

3 Likes

Hamburger steak is where it is at. Their milkshakes are so thick & rich that they are meal unto themselves.

2 Likes

I didn’t even know they had two different kinds of hamburger. I had to look up their menu. I’ve always had 1/2 lb hamburger steak burgers since forever. I’ve never had a regular burger there.

Also some folks in this thread have been having some very blasphemous thoughts and should be ashamed of themselves. Tear down (the OG) CharGrill?!?!?! I’m literally clutching my pearls at the very thought of this atrocity.

Shame! Shame! Shame!

6 Likes

Or even better…tear it down, replace with a 20 story building and have Char-grill rent a first floor retail space.

4 Likes

Why not CharGrill move across to one of the small container spaces in the courtyard of 1 Glenwood…

11 Likes

Gotta have the drive-in aspect for old time’s sakes, right?

2 Likes

When I was out there, the line for In-N-Out at 10:30 at night was Chick-fil-A-esque. The love is real I guess, but my tongue doesn’t understand.

1 Like

Nah. Build around it / over it. Have a patio and picnic tables in the front. That would be acceptable.

3 Likes

I love it so much. A double double is exactly the right amount of burger for a normal meal. But it’s what I grew up on, so I’m biased.

5 Likes

Ok I didn’t care about Snoopy’s but I will be upset about Char Grill haha

3 Likes

Bound to happen. Char-Grill building looking rough so maybe they can relocate into the first floor of one of the many available retail spots.

The Junior League of Raleigh and the State Employees’ Credit Union properties probably also get rezoned in the next decade.

2 Likes

Just digging a bit. Let’s set the record straight. It looks like Char Grill people own the property.

And LinkedIn tells me Mahlon is the CFO.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mahlon-aycock-18022027/

I’ll sure miss it but if they themselves sell it, can you really blame developers here? :thinking:

10 Likes

That’s fair if they decide they want to sell out - hopefully they’ll stick around the downtown area somewhere

1 Like