Char Grill block rezoning

Finally hit the TBJ:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/06/29/new-development-downtown-raleigh-char-grill.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_45&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

3 Likes

Hmm - Char Grill excited to partner with the developers and upgrade?
We better all get our pictures with this building now!
Two sticking points for the lot over all - the neighborhood reaction and what becomes of Elmwood. Is there room to move it to Blount St? We canā€™t loose a structure from 1812. There is too little left from that era.

12 Likes

If the building is designated Historic (which it is), arenā€™t they legally obligated to either move it, or else preserve it and build around it?

2 Likes

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article263013043.html

But all is not lost for fans of the Raleigh burger staple. Developers want to rezone the corner of Hillsborough Street and Boylan Avenue, and the new development will incorporate Char-Grill in its plans. ā€œThis project gives us the opportunity to upgrade our facility to better serve our customers in the future,ā€ said Char-Grill owners Ryon Wilder and Mahlon Aycock in a news release Wednesday. ā€œThis isnā€™t ā€˜goodbyeā€™ at all. Itā€™s ā€˜see-you-soon.ā€™ā€

ā€¦

ā€œWe have deep roots and respect for our community,ā€ said Michael Blount, managing principal with Wilson | Blount Development. ā€œThis site is home to structures that are part of Raleighā€™s unique history. Weā€™re taking great care in our approach to responsibly honor this history as we plan for a new, first-in-class development that will make a positive impact in our community.ā€

(Whatever that meansā€¦)

18 Likes

Would be cool as hell if they could somehow incorporate the current Char-Grill wavy roof thing into the new development ā€¦ somehow :thinking:

Perhaps as some kind of awning over the entrance to the new building?? Or as some kind of ornamental crown???

16 Likes

Thank you so very much! :hamburger: :fries: :hotdog: :cup_with_straw:

Maybe Iā€™m just being nostalgic, but Iā€™d like Raleigh to keep some places this. Places like this help maintain some of the character of we should want to keep. I always appreciated having places like this around town.

19 Likes

That sounds great in theory, but who should keep them? The city government? The existing property owners? The buyers?

The Char-grill sale seems like a best case scenario given that the Char-grill owner themselves are selling the property and actively working with the buyer/developer. Iā€™m not sure what all the people expect who are whining about it on RALtoday and other publications. Be mad at Char-grill if you want - theyā€™re the ones cashing out and selling! Of course that doesnā€™t fit the ā€˜greedy developerā€™ talking points.

ETA: I donā€™t begrudge the Char-Grill folks at all. Theyā€™ve owned that property for over 40 years, and Iā€™d guess those guys are in their 70ā€™s now, so good for them for taking advantage of the increased value.

18 Likes

I just want the sign to be incorporated, if nothing else.

2 Likes

Agreed, and the wavy roof. Otherwise, itā€™s just glass and old steel.

4 Likes

But what if the hamburger steak Jrā€™s taste the same?

I love watching the ā€œRaleigh Is Growingā€ Instagram account followers complain about literally every development. Someone even said ā€œeverything this account posts makes me angry and depressed.ā€ Why are you following them then? Just unfollow!

I am so sick of hearing about all the ā€œcultureā€ Raleigh is losing, when it seems to just be fast food and little brick buildings. Thereā€™s plenty of cool historical things here, but just because there was nothing better here in the past and people got used to it, isnā€™t a reason to be upset about inevitable change.

The same way Durham is losing its culture of gravel lots, abandoned buildings, car shops, and junkyards. Although that seems to be more about keeping Durham small for the people who already live there, under a guise of concern for poor people. But I digress.

9 Likes

I think keeping the sign up front or somewhere on the property would be pretty cool

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of fear and loathing responses on that account.

1 Like

People are crying over chargrill being torn down. People cried when chargrill replaced whatever was there previously, and people will cry when they tear down the 20 story building replacing chargrill.

Ohh the character :sob:

9 Likes

I actually do feel bad about losing Char Grill. It is a unique structureā€¦ a much more attractive googie building than the Marriott and another instance of this architecture that will be lost. Kinda liked the way it contrasted with the newer things around. Definitely hope they stay downtown and whatever their new spot is doesnā€™t hurt the business.

You people preferring Cook Out or In N Out are insane by the way.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s brand personality for Raleigh in that Char Grill.

1 Like

Yeah, Cook Out is loved because itā€™s cheap, itā€™s open late, and it has a billion milkshake flavors. I mean where else can you get a corn dog AND a quesadilla as your sides? Char Grill makes better food full stop.

12 Likes

I am so sick of hearing about all the ā€œcultureā€ Raleigh is losing, when it seems to just be fast food and little brick buildings.

I kind of agree with this (especially the part about all the complaining in Durham over lost mechanicā€™s garages and gravel lots) but there are instances where itā€™s not just about being upset about change. I think this is one of those instances. Iā€™d put this Char-Grill in the same category as Goodnights. The site holds intense memory and sentimental value for a lot of people; it represents a specific and important era of history in the neighborhood, and the building actually has significant architectural value.

Raleigh once had 52 mid-century modernist restaurants; many were architecturally significant. The only one that remains standing or unaltered beyond recognition is this Char-Grill. And itā€™s not that every mid-century modern building is worthy of preservation, but this particular one has a quirky and iconic double-vaulted concrete roof structure with nothing else like it in the city. Itā€™s at an approachable human scale, unlike the towers that surround it. Iā€™d love to see the developer repurpose the roof structure as a pavilion or move it forward to create a better urban front to Hillsborough and mark the entry of a new tower. New development doesnā€™t have to erase the memory of what used to exist on a site, and thereā€™s way to achieve both density and preserve character if developers actually care to do so.

24 Likes

With that amount of acreage, they could easily build around the restaurant entirely or incorporate nearly all of it, not including the parking facing the back and left side of the structure. Iā€™d love to see them do that or at least keep the sign, like I suggested earlier on.

1 Like