City Gateway - Mira Apartments and more (Gateway Southeast)

New subdivided lots proposed for this block. I wasn’t aware that the developer already owned the on-ramp and all the frontage along McDowell. Also, Lot 4 is interesting… could that be to set it aside for a future rail station?

And looks like the rezoning to 40 floors is for lots 2, 3, 5, 6, & 7 (not 1 and 4).

22 Likes

Lot 5 is a funky one. What kind of use wants a building that faces a side of McDowell that feels more like an onramp than a street?

3 Likes

I’m sure the city is going to require there be setbacks with space for a sidewalk and a bike-lane (hopefully).

3 Likes

That won’t a problem that area between these buildings will be a walkway.

It looks like the white lines on the streets are planned protected and unprotected bike lanes

2 Likes

I’ve been on a tangent about this for months so glad to see the plans firmed up. Odd to me that DOT would give up all access from MLK to Hwy 70 North unless they’re changing the intersection so the left turn from MLK Westbound can use the on-ramp. But this is downtown anyways so there was never any good reason for a big ridiculous highway interchange

5 Likes

They’ll likely be changing it so you can turn left. Long term I think the “goal” is to make both sides of the interchange into quadrant ramps. Basically it’d be a set of blocks instead of the flowing interchange it is now.
Kinda similar to the SW quadrant of Capital and Peace.

6 Likes

25 Likes

I believe that’s the City Gateway project, is it not? Of course I get those southern projects mixed up all the time.

1 Like

Thank you. I really don’t know the difference in all of the projects in this area. I just saw it when I drove south on Salisbury this morning and turned right on MLK. I drove around the block and found that it was 120 Kindley. When I googled that it had renderings with Exploris so I guess this is the long awaited Exploris Middle School project.

2 Likes

I think this corner lot is the apartment building. I get confused trying to make since of them all on this street, I think it’s an office 20 story near Fayetteville st. then exploris towards McDowell st. But I could also be wrong.

20 Likes

Time to update the name of this project. The apartment will be named Mira Raleigh.

More details about the overall development of these lots mentioned in the latest BizJournal article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/01/17/raleigh-new-development-plans-downtown.html

9 Likes

Some highlights:

The apartment building, Mira, will be 5 stories of residential units, two stories of parking deck with 300 reserved spaces. The ground floor will have 2,600 square feet of office space [and] is on track so far to be complete by 2024. Exploris School owns 120 Kindley and plans to build a standalone building on the site, either 2 or 3 stories.

For the remaining four building pads: Two of those building pads will be residential buildings, one of them being a mixed-use with office space. The third building pad could potentially be a hotel.

The remaining pad could become an office-focused building depending on what happens with the office market over the next few years. Previous plans called for City Gateway I, a mixed-use project with more than 200,000 square feet of space. But that is now on hold. The site could either be a mixed-use building heavily focused on office, or a mixed-use building with retail and some residential.

The 40-story rezoning request, which covers 130 and 131 Kindley St. and the unaddressed parcel, is to provide more flexibility in what could be built on the site in the future. If the rezoning request is approved, one or two of the buildings would be between 20 and 40 stories.

Also a subdivision plan that would enable the site to go from four lots to seven; establish a new public right of way connecting Kindley Street to Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. The subdivision plan is the first step before any other individual projects are submitted.

17 Likes

Here’s a broader site plan of the various south downtown projects. Also just off frame is Tidal’s Wilmington St 20 story apt tower (Lincoln block).

30 Likes

120 Kindley looks like its Lot 4 of the subdivision plan, so makes sense now why they aren’t rezoning that to 40 floors if they are already planning on building the school there.

5 Likes

Excellent. This topic should just focus on the blue properties.

7 Likes

:100:

(part of the reason I started putting this together was to keep the different projects straight between City Gateway & Salisbury Sq)

6 Likes

And just to round out the block, the southeast properties not highlighted have nothing going on as far as I know. (and therefore no topic here of discussion)

This entire area confuses the hell out of me. It’s why I need an urban street grid.

10 Likes

This reminds me of a Monty Python skit that ends “I am sick and tired of being sick and tired, and sick and tired of it.” Despite years of pointing out that nothing is going on with these blocks, there remains nothing going on. Therefore the emptiness of the blocks will remain the focus of the discussion and commenters should focus on nothing.

4 Likes