City of Raleigh Municipal Campus

what do you have against boxes lmao

2 Likes

I’m in the “whelmed” crowd. This is about what I was expecting… a dynamic street level “porch” with an interesting sequence of spaces and transparency, topped with some kind of trendy parametric-looking tower.

This rendering showing their vision for the full build-out shows how stunning the ground level-condition could eventually be, with those public terraces cascading into Nash Square.

I think the cladding of the tower portion is the most likely to change moving forward, and I hope that it does, because the current look is a little overdone. This stage of design is really about nailing down the general scheme and the overall organization of the building.

13 Likes

I don’t mean to be all doom and gloom. It’s not going to suck, and it’s obviously better than what’s there. I’m kind of in wait and see mode. I definitely want this to move forward and actually happen.

6 Likes

I was looking through some Henning Larsen projects this morning… they’ve done some really elegant sculpted facades. Very skillful detailing and layering of materials.

15 Likes

I like that last one for our building, but I guess that’s not what we’re getting. Gonna have to wait and see what actually gets built.

3 Likes

:bird: told me…

4 Likes

next step…

11 Likes

There’s a couple huge notes from that :

“We completed the Schematic design”
- I’m assuming we should see a rendering soon.

"We have completed all the field work required to demolish the current building. This included removing contaminated soils, gas pumps, underground storage tanks, and hazardous material.
-Sounds like the demolition is shovel ready and should see action soon!

14 Likes

What’s the date for that?

From the city’s website for the project: https://raleighnc.gov/projects/civic-campus . Doesn’t mention the latest update but I think it’s been saying this for a couple months now.

2 Likes

16 posts were merged into an existing topic: Status planned mixed/use development pipeline

Construction expected to start Fall 2022.

13 Likes

Really hoping those renderings are close to what we get, as the building design in those renderings is beautiful.

Also side not they said they’ll have public art installed by Narduli Studios. Their work looks pretty dang cool.

7 Likes

Claims to start construction in 2022 and finish by 2025. Sounds good but being a government project, who knows when will really happen.

5 Likes

Given that this is a 20-story OFFICE building, and the height restrictions have been lifted, what’s the chances this could end up even slightly taller than the formerly strict 250ft max limit? 280-300 ft would be amazing here.

8 Likes

Raleigh plans to break ground on the new Civic campus soon, as reported by TBJ.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/08/27/here-s-when-raleigh-plans-to-break-ground-on-east.html

The city is currently in the design phase and recently released a timeline projecting construction approval by late 2022. City Construction Projects Administrator Priscilla Williams said the city expects to begin construction in early 2023.

“It’s an exciting project,” Williams said. “The city is super excited for the opportunity to improve our customer service delivery.”

Work is projected to be completed by 2025, and the East Civic Tower is expected to cost $190 million. The city council has already allocated the funds for the project.

The city has yet to finalize a timeline for the second and third phases.

The Civic Campus master plan currently includes another 20-story tower for the second phase, to be located next to the first phase.

For phase three, the master plan envisions the demolition of the existing municipal parking lot and the development of a third party development.

10 Likes

Well, soon as in a year and a half from now… :man_shrugging:
Still glad to see some momentum for this project. Hoping for some big changes around Nash Square over the next few years.

18 Likes

Arrrrr — bet me by 2 min :grin:

1 Like

They’re a little slow. :slight_smile:

1 Like

*soon enough :joy:

Seriously though, I’m just happy for the growth so I’ll happily wait patiently. Been out here since 2016 and with all these new projects in the pipeline, I can honestly say this year I’ve seen the most development activity/rezonings since moving to Raleigh. Not bad for a city recovering from a “global pandemic”.

11 Likes