Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

The more I stare at the plans, the more I’m feeling like none of the intersection redesigns are great. They all have glaring flaws, so it might be an issue of having to pick the least awful one.

1: the old, conservative option

Option 1: right-only turns on Glenwood Av. on Lead Mine/Blue Ridge

2/3: the even worse kind of Carolina Hurricanes

Option 2: highway-like separated interchanges for Creedmore and Lead Mines; faster Glenwood traffic past 440, but probably difficult to navigate/road signs will be confusing
(this is the ugly one Kanatenah referenced earlier)

Option 3: highway-like separated interchanges for Creedmore and Lead Mines; more intuitive merging/splits in 440, but probably slower traffic

4/5: Crabtree Island

Option 4: Glenwood and Crabtree Valley made into one-way routes; merge lanes in 440 interchange better spaced out, but more bridges (more expensive?)

Option 5: Glenwood and Crabtree Valley made into one-way routes; less raised structures in 440 interchange, but more merges along northward Glenwood Av. per second driven past 440 (more dangerous to drive?)

6/7: Lead Mine bypass/Ridge Road preserved

Option 6: North Glenwood Av. direct path to mall, Blue Ridge/Lead Mine connected, North Hills/Blue Ridge becomes right-only intersection, 440 interchange design makes things easier on Glenwood drivers

Option 7: North Glenwood Av. direct path to mall, roundabouts everywhere, Lead Mines flows into 440, traffic from Blue Ridge requires passing 3 intersections/roundabouts to get onto Glenwood, 440 design gives preference to people leaving Crabtree

Maybe this could be pulled off if you modify a few things (and even add a transit link to North Hills and Downtown!)…? Something like this, maybe?

Keita’s modified option 3 with aspects of options 4

3 Likes