Cycling on Greenways in the Raleigh

SHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :shushing_face: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Cary is starting a new bike/micromobility plan, which will impact greenways headed anywhere west of Raleigh. Take a moment to fill in their survey (including a map asking where you’re going):

5 Likes

Done. My main comment: Build bike facilities along Chatham / Hillsborough to connect West Raleigh with DT Cary.

9 Likes

Amazed this does not already exist. E. Chatham <-> Hillsborough is the logical linkage corridor.

Flat grade (parallels rail), 45-mph traffic, and no I-40 interchange to navigate.

Maybe a two-way side path instead of bike lanes due to vehicle speed differential and building less cross-section depth (bikes vs. trucks).

7 Likes

There were already a ton of comments along that specific corridor. I’m sure the reason it’s not an easy fix is because it’s NCDOT, not Cary nor Raleigh streets.

3 Likes

Agree 100%. With the soccer facility that area has so much potential but NCDOT ROW. Raleigh & Cary need to work together on road project/bike/clean up project. Cary already handles lots of NCDOT improvements as they improved Tryon Road sections way before Raleigh’s section of Tryon. Tryon Road is NCDOT and reimburses the municipalities but it’s never 100%. Older state facilities look terrible just look at State surplus site on 54 Ugh.

2 Likes

Not specific to cycling, but the Crabtree Creek Trail is closing yet again for the 3rd time in the last 3 years. Hoping the month goes by quick. I use this route quite a bit.

Closure link: https://raleighnc.gov/status-alerts/crabtree-creek-greenway-trail-closure-detour

5 Likes

Nice detour up that steep hill through NH park.

1 Like

Haha. That hill is rough. I haven’t measured it, but I am curious what the incline is. That one and the one over by the art museum. There’s a couple smaller steep ones, but generally they are good for an exercise ride.

1 Like

Yes - I like to do that ride from NH to Crabtree mall, and then up the house creek trail to the art museum, a loop through there and back. It’s a great short but hilly workout.

But for commuting, that detour though NH park would be brutal.

1 Like

I went biking along the Reedy Creek Trail today.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the multi-use paths are now on both sides of Reedy Creek Rd. Previously I thought they had moved it over (Previous post). I was very surprised and impressed that they decided to keep it on both sides. Due to this, I would like to nominate this section of roadway as the best designed section in Raleigh. It has multi-use paths on both sides and the road has a speed limit of 25. I would like additional trees, but I will not complain because the infrastructure overall is there.

Separately, I did see what appears to be the construction of a multi-use path on the north side of Edwards Mill. It cuts off at the end of Bandwidth, but I’m thinking this may be due to Raleigh “requiring wide sidewalks for all development in the core”. I found this comment on a video from Youtube (Click here: You Don’t Need to Move to Amsterdam to be Happy) from @jlpack62 that was promoting Raleigh.

If you managed to watch the Youtube video above, here’s the list that was shown (Click here: Share of pedestrian roadways with an average vehicle speed under 25 mph). Nashville ranks pretty high at 31.9%. I would love to see Raleigh rank on this list. Charlotte made the list.

Lastly, here’s a shot of the development across NCMA. ̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶d̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶o̶n̶u̶s̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶t̶o̶.̶ It’s the DHHS building.

15 Likes

That is Macon Pond Office ASR-0009-2021 (4 story) which actually hides the deck better than Bandwidth did. Wish City would install multi use path from there to Bandwidth. The lights are terrible in this area. Reddy Creek crossing EM is toooooo long causing long backups on EM. There was a tunnel under EM so wonder if that will be incorporated with the multi use trail. Maybe they can improve Reedy Creek trail and loop along 40 back to Reedy Creek Road.

1 Like

Wow, didn’t realize Reedy Creek was so nice. That’s fantastic. Bike connectivity in this area is probably going to be the best in the city. Remember they’re installing dedicated lanes on Blue Ridge, and a protected intersection at Blue Ridge/Reedy Creek too :grin:

2 Likes

I’m excited for the Blue Ridge work to be done. It’s supposed to have a multi-use path on one side which will be great (Project link for anyone else interested)

5 Likes

Went on a ride today after the rain cleared out. Found the Crabtree Creek Trail section west of Crabtree Valley Mall, that’s set to open this year, has been paved near Lindsay Drive. Current project link (Link here) calls for completion of December 2023 (I could have sworn it previously said October 2023 for completion). Fingers crossed the path portion is completed soon and open. :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

Just rode there last weekend and it was not paved yet.

1 Like

Same! This is exciting to see it paved

I went to check out the new section that’s talked about here a couple weeks ago. It’s very nice. There is a good sized parking lot off of Ebenezer Church near Umstead. I can’t wait to be able to park there and ride my bike all the way back into the city after the next section is done. I found this article that says it should be done in October!!

5 Likes

Went by today and still saw it was closed. As close as it looks to being done, I thought they might have opened it this week. I’ll probably check in again next weekend.

1 Like

Until the next section is done, please be careful crossing Duraleigh road to get to Lindsey drive trail head. You can go underneath EB Church road into a neighborhood, then cross at light in Oak Park. FYI.

1 Like