Cycling on Greenways in the Raleigh

Update from today. Looks like it’s getting close. The sides have grass growing now. Hopefully won’t be long until they take down the fence.

8 Likes

I just went by there haha. I saw some people walking on the other side, but figured I’d respect the fence. So close.

2 Likes

Still nothing.

Ok ok, this is not the only thing I was going to post. I continued the long way around via Reedy Creek Rd and through Umstead to get to the section between Umstead and Duraleigh Rd.

Photos from Umstead and new parking lot:

Photos from the new section at Duraleigh along with one of the bridges that take you up. It’s kind of an interesting section. I’m assuming the wrap around was used to prevent a steep incline.

I continued down Duraleigh to see it was looking from this end. I quickly found out that there was a definite reason why it was not open yet. It looks like it has a bit to go on the Duraleigh side although I will say that the paving was quickly done on the eastern side. It is only one week into the month and if the greenway alerts page is correct, it looks like it may be opened on October 31st, 2023.

8 Likes

Ooof - That looks like a ways to go yet.

3 Likes

Looks like it’s still not determined when it will open. I was hoping end of the month. The article below gives an indication it may not be completed anytime soon.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article280079679.html

Bureaucracy strikes again…

Made another ride out towards Umstead today and found that it looks like the new path from Reedy Creek Rd/Umstead Entrance down to Trenton Park Ln is almost completed. I’m so happy to see this type of infrastructure and would love to see some of it closer to downtown.

I don’t anticipate the bridge being updated until it’s time for a replacement. Sadly this continues the existing trend where the greenways tend to be disconnected in some areas (although it’s better that we have the new section so no complaints). Now I’m looking at Cary waiting for it to complete the proposed section down Trinity Rd to Fenton and/or to N. Harrison Ave (Cary Bike & Hike Map). Does anyone know of any updates to the Cary Biek & Hike Map? I see a lot of proposals.

After continuing through Umstead to Crabtree Creek West, I ended up going up the sidewalks on Duraleigh. I know there was an article talking about waiting for steel on the suspension bridge, but I still don’t see any paving done on the section.

Left: Looking East from Duraleigh Rd bridge
Right: Looking down the trail entrance from Duraleigh

A couple of bonus photos:
Left: Looking at DHS building across from NCMA.
Right: Skeleton on a bike. Just liked it.

I know the city plan calls for an “Arts & Research District” across the way from the NCMA, but I hope there tends to be a bit of residential out this way as well. It would be a prime spot for residents to live there with short access to NCMA. Residences would benefit a lot better due to the proximity rather than office development in the area. We already see where the office workers downtown don’t bring any liveliness to an area (Fayetteville St.) If anything, the offices should stick to the Edwards Mill Side.

20 Likes

Photos of Crabtree Creek West current state. I’m not sure how long it will take to complete this part, but I’m disappointed of the current progress. I understand that there was a delay due to the steel of the bridge, but what’s the excuse for this not being completed?

Currently the project page states that it will be completed Summer 2024. I think it’s funny how they put months now that determine the months of each season. I don’t remember seeing this before.

9 Likes

Good grief. It’s been over a year n that section with no visible progress. I hope they get it open this summer, but I won’t hold my breath.

3 Likes

Not sure of what the progress is, but it seems that the Crabtree Creek trail section under 440 may be open now? It’s been open for a little over a week. There’s still some barriers set to the side, so it’s hard to say if it’s a temporary open.

The Greenway Alerts page mentions completion date of May 31st 2024.

If this is pretty much complete, then props to the staff for completing the project early. It was originally slated for July (Click here for my complaining post). It could be that they are going to be doing phase 3 which may take the extra month.

11 Likes

Is the greenway open the whole section between 440 and Lassiter Mill Park? I live by there and bike to the greenway all the time but have been annoyed I can’t go west at all.

I don’t see a section that directly connects to Lassiter Mill Park. The section that runs to Hertford St (unpaved) to 440 is open. The section that runs parallel to Alleghany Dr is also opened. If you’re trying to go west of Lassiter Mill Park, the best route is to head south on Lassiter Mill Rd and use the Crabtree Creek Trail section that connects Northampton St to Lassiter Mill Rd.

3 Likes

I represent BPAC at the Greenway Committee of the PRGAB. We request/receive updates on closures, planned closures, and proposed detours at every monthly meeting. Our next meeting is Monday, 5/13 at 4pm in the Raleigh Municipal Building Rm 303. These meetings are open to the public and we welcome your presence and participation.

If anyone has questions about specific closures please share with me and I will get more information.

5 Likes

More posts about it in this thread. Bike Lanes in and around DTR - #1288 by clairebertt

Generally - my comments around Greenway closures are:

• Lenght of closures - Many many months on end. Without an effective, safe detour (see next item). I get the need and complexity of infrastructure projects, but accommodations are made for car traffic all the time, but not for pedestrians / cyclists.

• Lack of clearly marked, safe detours that don’t go miles out of the way. A few miles detour in a car is not big deal. on bike its lots of extra huffing and puffing, on foot it’s a non-starter.

• Detours often use busy roads unsafe for cycling / pedestrians. Using US 401 as a greenway detour is not viable for a lot of folks. especially with kids.

• Lack of communication of closures. the NRT has signage at various places about the closure at Heddingham, but it mentions nothing of the closure at US-401. I have the greenway app that shows trail closures in red, but it doesn’t seem to have been updated in years. It still shows Crabtree trail closed near capital, which has been back open for at least 2 years, but doesn’t have many of the current closures shown.

Sorry for the rant (but you did ask for it). I appreciate your help and hope you can express these concerns to the Greenway Committee.

I love the Greenway system and I think it’s a vastly underrated gem for the greater Raleigh area. It’s just frustrating to be using the greenway, and encounter countless trail closures without clearly marked, safe detours.

5 Likes

Thank you - I appreciate this feedback. I’m traveling through Monday but will respond in more detail when I’m back.

5 Likes

It looks like the Crabtree Creek West trail is coming together since last posting about it. While on my ride today, I opted to cross the street at Alta Vale instead of Weaver Dr. to get a view of the greenway east of the bridge. It was a good choice since I was able to see the bridge that looked completed (top left photo).

From this viewpoint, I noted the stairs leading down and a sign which I assumed as a “Trail closed” sign which seemed to indicate the western part of that sign was closed, but the east side was open. When I got down to the bottom, it’s exactly what I saw (top middle photo). With a disclaimer of “don’t follow my example” , I went past the sign since I was curious to see what was passed. It looks like they are getting ready to pave the remaining section. Here’s the post where I last commented on this (click here); It was only 21 days ago. It seems progress has really picked up.

Left: viewpoint from Duraleigh
Middle: At the bottom of the steps looking west.
Right. Just west of Duraleigh on future greenway.

Left: Looking east under Duraleigh Bridge.

Since the sign was facing east (which I took as the East side to be open) I proceeded east to the bridge. The bridge looks great.

I went ahead and proceeded east since the Trail Closed Ahead sign at the bridge was still pointing east (again which I took as the Eastern side being open). I found that there was still one bridge under construction. Not to complain, but I found this bridge to be a little silly since I was able to proceed past on the right side of the future bridge. I’m sure I’ll appreciate it if I do a ride in the rain out this way. I was able to get to the ending section where Lindsay Drive was.

I’m absolutely excited for this to be officially opened. I would love it if they would finish the bridge in the photo above and then open it to at least the stairs soon while the section under Duraleigh gets done (if the section under Duraleigh is expected to take much longer). I’m curious how the bridge at Lindsay drive will affect opening time as well. It didn’t look completed and I don’t know how much longer is needed for its completion.

Stairs leading down to the greenway.

Bonus photo of a nail in my tire today on the section just east of Capital. The original ride was going to be going East from Crabtree Mall, then downtown, Hillsborough St/NC State, Umstead, then back to Crabtree Mall. Due to the flat, I ended up cutting the eastern section out. I needed to be back home by 4.

20 Likes

Thanks for the pictures and update.

4 Likes

Oh snap, check out those bike ramps on the sides. More of this, please!

14 Likes

Perfectly placed to snag the handlebars on the railings.

Nah, the whole idea is that you’re walking it up at an angle. Shouldn’t be an issue if you do it right:

6 Likes