Cycling on Greenways in the Raleigh

The triangle has the best greenway on the East Coast in my opinion. Here is a greenway map with

*all the greenways in Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, Durham and CH

*all the bike shops in Raleigh, Cary, Durham

*all the bike tool stations in Raleigh and Umstead

*this map is built on google maps, so all restaurants, bottle shops close to the greenway are also listed

*including Umstead, the triangle area has about 275 (!) miles of greenways, and they are constantly being improved.

*feedback to improve the map is welcome

www.bit.ly/ncgreenway

25 Likes

Thanks for sharing. This is nice. I have seen the Raleigh greenway map, but nothing comprehensive for the entire region.

I see you have listed a few future greenways. Raleigh recently published a greenway master plan that includes quite a few future greenways I do not see listed.

Also you can add a bathroom and bike fix station at Riverbend park on the Nuesse River Trail.

4 Likes

This is really cool! Great first post and welcome!

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. I added the bathroom and fix it station at RiverBend park. Historically, I don’t add future greenways (like Lindsey drive to Umstead) because of uncertain completion dates. Cheers, Tim

1 Like

Thanks, this is great. Why is there a gap on Walnut Creek from Rock Quarry? I cycled that portion in the past

Niko- see this link for greenway closures -

https://raleighnc.gov/greenway-alerts#paragraph--259031

until May 2023

1 Like

Very nice and interesting map. I’ve thought about making a map because routes that I’ve used don’t really show up on the Bike Raleigh App or the Oaks and Spokes map. Is there any reason for some choices being marked? For example, I see Ladyfingers Market and Eatery Marked, but not Sost or Sushi Mon. Crabtree Valley Mall has a food court and is right off the greenway. Although it’s not high end food, there are a variety of places to eat along with Crabtree Ale House. For grocery stores, Wegman’s is marked, but not Whole Foods on Ridge Rd which is right off the greenway. I would believe that it’s impossible to mark everything in an area so a generalized “food”, “beer”, or “restaurants” label would suffice. I’m also assuming the map is a work in progress so it may be the reason why some things aren’t marked.

Overall good map. Well done.

1 Like

This is a great map! So great that it prompted me to create an account so I could share a few small clarifications on the Crabtree Creek trail between New Bern and Raleigh Blvd. I’ve uploaded a screenshot with the edits too.

• Where it hits Milburnie eastbound, you have a spur shooting off it, but Google has it correct. One has to get onto a sidepath on Milburnie for a short spell and then reconnect to the trail. That spur doesn’t exist.

• There is an access point just north of Crabtree and Somerset.

• There is a new access point north of the Cratbree and N King Charles

6 Likes

Wanderer- Thank you for the useful, specific feedback. I post this map in various to a. socialize it so more people will use the greenways and b. to elicit feedback like I got from you.

To answer your questions-

In general some places are not listed because they are not (in my opinion) applicable to users of the greenway, such as Sushi Mon (which is a great place, but I don’t think I would show up in my cycling gear). Or the map would simply get too busy and jumbled if I listed more places. Because this is built on google maps, anyone can zoom in and see exactly what business are where. Plus I tried to focus on businesses that are easily and more importantly SAFE to access from the greenway. So if there was a fun bottle shop close to the greenway but you had to cross a busy road or ride on a busy road to get to it, I would probably leave it off. I did add Whole Foods on Ridgewood, as it is right on the greenway. The map continues to be a work in progress and I edit it at least once a week.

Thanks again and please share the URL with anyone who is interested in using the greenway.

Cheers, Tim

4 Likes

For those of y’all who may not have followed our discussions on this in the past, our region could get a superhighway along I-40 dedicated for bikes…

…and according to the draft work plan from our regional planners at CAMPO that is open for your feedback until this Valentine’s Day…

This is expected to cost $5.18M over two fiscal years, with about 10% of the costs being subsidized by the RTF.

17 Likes

I am really starting to get more and more excited about this proposed bikeway. Unlike the commuter rail, which always is “about 10 years away” from being reality, this one has actually has a chance to be ready sometime before I retire. And I could use it for my daily commuting out to RTP. It’s about 18 miles for me one way, which with an e-bike, commute time could rival being stuck in I-40 on some days, plus I would get some exercise instead of sitting in a car.

13 Likes

I can’t believe that this video is promoting cycling without a helmet!
:wink:
:military_helmet:

1 Like

Greenway conditions while biking yesterday. Water was quite high, but it was definitely flooded at Wake Forest Rd and under Blue Ridge Rd. Sadly the connection at Industrial Drive was not completed yet. Estimated completion was April 6th :upside_down_face:.

7 Likes

To add to @Jacobirving1 's post (Click here). We also need to work on the Greenway system. Today I was biking on Crabtree Creek Greenway and again it was flooded under Wake Forest Rd and under Atlantic Avenue. I saw a lot of both cyclists and walkers cross Atlantic on the road to avoid the mud underneath. I would like to see the city implement a pedestrian/bike crossing and light here. It could work in conjunction with the light at Hodges. If the light is red for Atlantic, then also turn red for the pedestrian/bike crossing.

Conditions. The trail closed sign is due to the block near Industrial Drive

Left: One of the few cyclists continue on underneath.
Right: Where a lot of walkers and cyclists were actually crossing. This would be a good spot for a crossing light. I don’t think they can raise the section underneath.

Saw there’s an opening at Industrial Drive. Still not paved. Looks like the estimated completion date is now May 16th.

13 Likes

Second to last spam of this. The last one will be when it’s completely clear of any indication of construction.

The Industrial road connection is paved! Was a pleasant surprise

15 Likes

So, you’ll soon be able to (more easily) connect to Clouds Brewing back there off Industrial from the greenway!?

Love seeing the Industrial Drive Connection, but I just put together a map of 3 projects around the Blue Ridge Road Area which will be making great multi-use path connections. Two of which are already under construction. (The lines arent exactly where they will end up being, theyre just to show where you will be able to go.)

12 Likes

Rode along Reedy Creek Rd today. It’s been a while since I rode out that way. Was surprised to find that they made a change to the Greenway. There’s construction on the north side, but it looks like the Greenway is on the south side and then jumps across the road past Bandwidth. I don’t know if they are keeping the north side removed.

It also looks like the Greenway connection at Trenton Rd may be getting put in. I’m not sure if that’s the case but there appears to be some sort of construction out there.

11 Likes

Yeah, having it only on that side is temporary, if you look at the ASR, it shows 10 foot trails on both sides. Right now they are adding 3 more lanes to that road near Edward Mills, so I expect it to be built after.
https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/drupal-prod/COR15/ASR-0085-2020_AA.pdf

Checked out the new spur from Crabtree to Industrial drive and found this little hidden make shift skate park in the trees.

15 Likes