Dorothea Dix Park

Would love to see a disc golf course

3 Likes

I think they need to do a survey.

1 Like

there’s a pop up one right now by the entrance at Western & Boylan Pop-up Disc Golf Course | Dorothea Dix Park

5 Likes

Indeed, and it is a fantastic course. I love that they up and went for it instead of studying it to death. However, and I’ve told some park staffers this, they created too nice of a course in too nice of a location for it to be a one-month pop-up - many will have a hard time letting it go! See pic from a recent round below. To have a course that fun to play this close to a happening downtown is huge in the world of disc golf. Normally dg courses are reserved for wetlands/floodplains, sewer easements, and other areas that don’t support more profitable uses, or they are far out on some old farmland.

However there have been some ideas floated to shift it to more of this area, utilizing some open land and woods:

11 Likes

I tried to go and play 2 weekends ago but the course was packed with groups! I’ll have to go back one weekday and try again.

1 Like

I had no idea. That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about! Crowded attraction!

1 Like

I played disk golf there on Sunday and saw probably 30 others playing or waiting in line.

1 Like

Just build something in this city. Public meetings, surveys, designs. I will never understand this.

Still trying to understand how plastic bollards and paint stripes were $200,000 along just a couple of blocks for bike lanes…

Old man rant

Engineering my friend. Engin$$ring.

2 Likes

Also, environmental stuff (there is a huge landfill very close to a water source in Dix Park).

1 Like

I haven’t asked what my rate has been lately but a good estimate for a hourly billing rate for an engineer is $100-150/hour so a full day of me looking at a project or going to a public meeting etc… is already a $1000/person

2 Likes

Lots of chatter on the public meeting for the civic play area being planned on a water feature :wink: Made me think of this group!

Information should be available after the meeting at this location: https://publicinput.com/plazaplay

7 Likes

I think this may be my all time favorite “sculpture fountain” du monde!

4 Likes

just my opinion but :face_vomiting:

I guess if the this city has or is full of the other classical structures such as the church behind it, then yeah this is fine for the kids. But DTR has very few classical or historical structures and a really nice fountain would be a great addition. Not to mention something that could bring people together. After COVID-19 of course. :wink:

2 Likes

The Stravinksy Fountain in Igor Stravinsky square is really cool to see in person. Man I really enjoy Paris, you could spend weeks there and not see everything. If anyone hasn’t been, it’s a must see city. I was a little taken back by the insane amounts of homelessness, but that quickly gets lost in the history and overall grandiose the city has.

3 Likes

I haven’t been back to Paris since 2000 (pre Euro!!) LOL Hoping to take my wife for our 20th anniversary (2025) right before my twins start college. UGH!! (Spend it while you’ve got it, right? haha)

When I went to the Centre Pompidou, there were tons of people around the fountain. Some of the statues were spinning and spraying water, it was really awesome! There there are also those huge fountains (Jardin de Luxembourg and near the Louvre) where kids push model sail boats across the water.
Paris is a very special (and expensive) place!! You could spend a lifetime there and not see/experience it all.

5 Likes

I was one of those kids once …decades ago lol.

Been there! it was a great vibe.