Dorothea Dix Park

Gipson Play Plaza

30 Likes

This one was interesting from the council meetings this week also…
Summary : overbudget due to escalating supply costs and we’re digging through the coffers for more coin…council approved working to cover the shortfall with a couple dissenters.

8 Likes

Cary vs Gipson who will win ?

2 Likes

“It’s a lot of money to give to one park that got a very large chunk of the bond,” Jones said. “And I just want to make sure that we’re actively making sure that all parks are served in that district.”

I mean…the city paid how much for the park in order to do these projects? I get what he’s saying, but Dix is pretty much the park at this point, and cutting corners on such a massive investment would be more costly later.

9 Likes

We all win that one.

They’re both costing about $60 million. Cary probably wins in the short term, but imo Dix will have more to work with in the long term.

9 Likes

Comparing Downtown Cary Park to just Gipson Play Plaza then I think Cary wins. But eventually overall Dix should surpass Cary. But I do really like how the Downtown Cary Park will be more fully integrated into the urban environment. Easily accessible by foot for many nearby restaurants and drinking establishments.

18 Likes

Downtown Cary Park is 7 acres. Gipson Park is 18.5 acres. They’re probably similar in other ways.

1 Like

Who cares? - The entire regions wins by having both.

22 Likes

It’s no big deal, their inability to allocate funding effectively with just result in another property tax increase.

Wouldn’t it be nice if a developer came along with extra funding for another park downtown that would help ease this funding gap elsewhere. Sounds crazy I know, but we should totally reject that proposal if it comes.

7 Likes

Comparison is the thief of joy.

9 Likes

https://dixpark.org/discgolf

Looks like the disc golf course is back

11 Likes

No participation trophies. There will be a winner. Many awards will bestowed upon that winner.

1 Like

WTF you talking about, Willis?

3 Likes

Can you envision it yet?

22 Likes

*inales ahhhhhhhh, I can smell the piss now :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hey, hold on a minute. Didn’t previous post of this fountain look more like a true play area and less like the remains of war torn Ukraine?

3 Likes

Those kids have good arc / s characterharharhars

I’m sure they won’t let anyone hang out on top of the rock outcropping.

2 Likes

Someone can do a swan dive from it.

3 Likes

Hey! I actually know a little bit about this and worked on portions of some underground transmission projects in the Outer Banks. There are some short sections of underground 115kV transmission at the Bonner Bridge and at the new bridge in Rodanthe, where the line transitions from overhead to underneath the bridge. The undergound was necessary to maintain clearances to the road and other structures when transitioning from overhead to under the bridge. I designed some of the transition structures, and some of the support structures underneath the bridge.

I think there is less than half a mile of underground at Bonner Bridge, mostly on the north end. Rodanthe bridge has less than 1000 feet on each end.

It was extremely expensive and time consuming work.

10 Likes