Downtown hotels

This is super exciting!!! Our first new hotel in quite a while! I was hoping the Nash Square hotel on this block would get traction first but I’ll take it!

2 Likes

This is one project where I liked the initial renderings but then they completely changed to something different.

Before:

After:

11 Likes

Completely agree. Tho I do like the windows on the new rendering. I guess we’ll all see how it actually turns out.

2 Likes

The new rendering looks more like a new urbanism building for a place like North Hills, than it does for a building in the core of the city. It also looks like a design language that was being offered up 15-20 years ago. I mean, how different is this really from The West condominium?

6 Likes

#KeepRaleighBoring (:slight_smile: )

5 Likes

I happen to like the West Condominium:). Especially since the north side is nice and clean.

4 Likes

The initial rendering wasn’t that great…especially the first few levels being parking. Rounded glass is much more expensive to install too, so I am sure that had an effect.

I like the second rendering, but like should not be attributed to love or enamored or excited. It’s a 15-story hotel (from my count in the rendering), so I am not expecting mind-blowing.

You should see some of the hotels here in NYC. This would be a celebrated design.

2 Likes

The second rendering also looks more like their corporate style. It looks like the other Hilton Garden Inns I’ve seen or stayed in the last couple years. I guess that is a positive for them, even if it doesn’t add much to the city’s look.

1 Like

I didn’t say that it was bad; I’m just saying that it’s not fundamentally that much different. I’d rather see some variety.

Yeah, it totally looks like it could be anywhere, sort of like McDonald’s and Starbucks.

1 Like

=insert poll=

My vote is I don’t like it because it does look like the rest of their brand, but that’s obviously by design. (pun intended)

I love the Hilton Curio collection. There’s one in Asheville called The Foundry that is super cool. So much character and unique style. I don’t see us getting something like that but I can dream. I am however super happy this one seems to be actually happening. I’ll take it whatever it looks like.

7 Likes

I vote that this rendering looks much better than what is currently there…

14 Likes

That is a very cool looking hotel indeed. Do you know if it was a new build or renovation?

Touche, @Nickster, touche.

2 Likes

Half of the Foundry Inn is new build, and half of it is renovation of some extremely derelict buildings. The hotel market in Asheville is on fire lately, council has been trying to slow it down because they have the impression downtown is getting taken over by tourists. While that impression is frankly pretty accurate I still don’t think they should stop.the hotels, but rather figure out how to encourage other types of development like offices and apartments too.

3 Likes

From the website:

this hotel is the restoration of the foundry that forged the steel for The Biltmore Estate and many of Asheville’s prominent buildings

I guess they could restore what’s there and call it The Garage.

3 Likes

That is a suburb hotel.

This thread popping back up reminded me of a hotel I saw in Nashville. It looks to be a much larger building incorporating the older, smaller structure. The hotel is the Dream Nasville.

The street was rather tight so excuse the wonky pano.

Better view on google. Google Maps

7 Likes

That’s pretty nice looking. Maybe I’ll stay there next time I visit Asheville!

1 Like

Your resident modernist checking in here, but I actually prefer the second design. There’s something flat and unfriendly about the first one…

Yes, the second one is bland, dated, and looks like it belongs in the suburbs, but I also think there are a lot of subtle improvements. The facade is less flat; it’s got some small notches in it that help break down its scale. The double-height glass at the ground level feels more appropriately scaled to the building. There are many more windows that texture the facade. The base no longer screams “parking garage.” Looks like there’s a nice roof patio at the corner. Overall, I actually think this will be a nicer building to walk past as a pedestrian than it was. Still ugly tho.

4 Likes