Downtown hotels

You had me all the way up to this point…:crazy_face:
Sounds like “over-regulating”…? :upside_down_face:
How would you justify this? :thinking:
Seriously? Please and thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

It won’t matter if there was a maximum, because nearly all developers will build to the minimum, unless they were trying to market a really high end project and just wanted to make sure that they were covered for any circumstance and could justify the spend based on their expected revenues.
That said, you don’t agree with me, and that’s okay. We don’t have to agree.

2 Likes

I should have added that. Yes, that modified requirement only applies to hotels in downtown.

1 Like

Please know that I truly want to understand where you are coming from?
If it “won’t” matter, but “there should be”?
I “believe” that change will only happen with good reason…so or are you simply saying what you “wish” were the case…? :relaxed:

I think that we should actively be stemming the growth of parking, especially in light of a future will likely have more car sharing platforms, more autonomous driving cars, etc.
To be clear, I understand that downtown is exploding with growth and we need to deal with the reality of cars today. I just don’t think that we should be providing for parking within the context of ever growing personal car use going forward. This is why I think that there should be parking maximums.

3 Likes

is this a city law, state law or what? this seems like an easy win if we are forcing arbitrary laws and the hotel itself doesn’t want it

City requirement…

Correct. 153’ which is about the height of One Glenwood or the Wake County Courthouse. Charter square is, 215 I think.

This hotel has 190 rooms, 184 spaces (51 of which are compact), which really is ridiculous. The hotel has an extended stay portion from what I understand after doing some research, so maybe that’s why? Idk. It’s Home2 Tru which is some kind of cross of two Hilton brands.

@scotchman I changed my logo-thingy to reflect my fountain fascination. Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

I guess this is a Guesthouse now.

5 Likes

Is Glen on Peace still happening? I noticed a for sale sign on the property that wasnt there in Feb 2019 based on google maps

4 Likes

Does anyone have any news on the Willard? I feel like it’s been forever and there isn’t even construction fencing around the current buildings

2 Likes

I simply do not understand why none of these hotels can seem to get started!

7 Likes

There is a sign there now that says the land is for sale. Thanks NIMBYs! (Eye Roll)

1 Like

I regularly consult the one upstairs at Mecca.

The Willard Site Plans have been approved !

12 Likes

That’s great! With our office moving to 510 Glenwood in a week and the Hampton Inn full most of the time, this will be welcoming when it’s finished in 5 years! LOL

3 Likes

That is awesome! Any idea when we might see anything happening on the site, even demolition?

1 Like

Well, the property owner bought the land when zoned for 3 floors, and now they have it approved for 4. So, given that property values have risen, and with another floor that can be built, I’m sure that they will do just fine on the land sale.
I wonder if this is going to go full circle back to the condo building that was originally planned for there. It was called Glen on Peace (one of those famously original names that were being used back then). I’d be perfectly fine with a floor of retail, a floor of parking and 2 story condos topped with rooftop terraces.

3 Likes