Downtown hotels

100% agree and really hope we can get more condos downtown. Ppl want to invest in downtown and there is a shortage of those options right now.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard any other information on The Willard .

I would be perfectly fine with a beautiful boutique hotel with restaurant/bar at least 5 stories. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. Raleigh is in desperate need of a high end hotel/resort with spa. All we have is the Umstead… and that place is constantly booked. It is the only thing around like it. We need to cater to more than just the millennials and college kids. There is large market in Raleigh for higher end restaurants, bars, hotels, etc.

5 Likes

I don’t disagree, but that’s a tiny piece of property for such an ambition. A hotel concept like that deserves a more central location and a larger piece of land where they can build taller.

2 Likes

I have no idea why the condo market is so limited while Durham seems to have no problem building them right now.

1 Like

Agreed. I would think more of phase III in smokey for a large high end hotel/resort with spa. But for this space, I would still love to see a beautiful boutique hotel with a ground floor indoor/outdoor cafe like the Bobby in Nashville.
https://bobbyhotel.com/cafeatbobby/

3 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind that either. That’s why I wasn’t a nimby about it. As a next door neighbor, I wanted to grant the variance in exchange for being deeply involved in making it amazing. My neighbors, especially those that face the property, didn’t see it that way. Let’s see what they end up with against their balconies and windows now.
I’ll add that I’d like to see a developer assemble a lot of land on both sides of Peace and transform the entire road between Glenwood and St. Mary’s into a master-planned urban streetscape experience. Right now it’s a hodgepodge of semi-suburban land uses that can’t decide what it wants to be.

3 Likes

That’s almost creepy that you called that out. I’m staying at the Bobby and even ate at the cafe for breakfast this morning. Stop following me!

1 Like

Great spot… and the rooftop bar/pool with BUS is amazing. Haha… could you even imagine presenting that to our city council! haha!

1 Like

I agree about the downtown high end boutique hotel/spa. Everyone loves the Umstead but they don’t stay there just because it’s on Harrison Ave. Similarly a downtown hotel of similar quality would attract people because of the quality but with the added benefit of being downtown. I think the block to the east of Moore Square would be ideal for a high end boutique hotel.

2 Likes

Given that Lambert is fine putting in a row of ten condos on busy Clark by Cameron Village, maybe they’d also consider this site? Its the size property they like to deal in.

The Nash Square Hotel seems to be making its way through approval with 190 units.
At 9 stories and 109 Feet tall, this will be roughly the height of NC State Bell tower at 115.
Going back to the parking discussion and our minimum requirements, the city required 95, but the developer still built 137, so there’s clearly a driving purpose for this.
Also says they are building a 4,200sqft Restaurant space.

Also appears they are adding an indoor pool in the rear basement of the hotel on the Dawson St side.

11 Likes

Do we know what brand this hotel will be?

The Raymond Group currently only manages either Hilton or Marriott versions:
Hilton (Homewood Suites, Hampton, Hilton Garden, & Home2 Suites)
Marriott (Residence Inn, Townplace Suites, Courtyard, AC hotels, & Springhill Suites)

I know that doesn’t exactly tell which specific label, but one of these two flagship brands.

8 Likes

Thanks. I think that actually narrows the options a good bit. There’s already supposed to be a Garden Inn/Homewood down the road, a Residence Inn was just built, Hampton Inn is over on Glenwood, Courtyard is supposed to be built on the Enterprise lot, AC hotel going up on Glenwood.

So I would imagine it will be either a Springhill suites, Townplace, or Home2suite.

3 Likes

That “Outdoor Amenity Area” in the section makes me laugh. #pathetic

3 Likes

Am I the only one who is not a fan of the house hotels popping up in downtown?

Sorry, “House Hotels”?

Like the cottage guest room for example

I’m not sure what it’s called but someone mentioned it