Downtown hotels

I didn’t know that they were available in DTR proper?

Are you talking about Guest House Raleigh and Montfort Hall? I actually like them. I haven’t been in Guest House… but from the pictures, it looks like they have done a great job. Monfort Hall looks incredible and I can’t wait to go in! I feel like since all we have are generic 5-10 story hotels, its nice to have something that is nice and unique to Raleigh.

Again… we need a high end hotel with spa! Kane, if you are reading this… please put one in the 40 story phase III!! Huge need for it. And certainly a demand!

https://www.guesthouseraleigh.com/
https://www.newsobserver.com/latest-news/article227189914.html

6 Likes

I truly love both of those and think that Renovations of older home/buildings and new hotels are both great additions to DTR… :grinning:

2 Likes

Thats where you pee when you can’t find a bathroom

1 Like

Not a fan? Go on…

Probably referring to extended stay hotel?

Guest House? Yes, I think you’re the only one.

6 Likes

“McDowell Street Hotel”
431 South McDowell Street, the Enterprise Rental Car block has an agenda item for the June 10 meeting.

A-56-19 WHEREAS RALDT, LLC, property owner, requests a 3 foot variance to the minimum side and rear lot line setbacks of either 0’ or 6’ for a 12 story mixed-use building/parking structure set forth in Section 3.2.6.B. of the Unified Development Ordinance that results in a 3’ side and rear setback adjacent to the lot immediately north of the property on a .57 acre property zoned Downtown Mixed-Use-20-Shopfront and located at 431 S. McDowell Street.

Easy link to the board doc.

4 Likes

The Nash Square hotel has been submitted for a building permit.

10 Likes

Yay! More cranes coming soon! We are up to 6 now right?

I don’t think you’ll see a crane until next year. If it is an out of state architect, it usually takes several review rounds to get the permit. They also have to demo the existing buildings.

I’m gonna bet this winter. Your probably right though. But I’ll say by November

building permit before a demolition permit? sounds a little odd. Usually you see the demo permit pulled before a building permit. There are at least 2 buildings that have to come down, right?

They will definitely get the demo permit first. I’m assuming that it will take several months to get the building permit. I also assume that they will begin demo soon. It will be a matter of doing the site prep after the demo and the timing of it. I just don’t think that they will be ready to put a crane up until early next year.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any activity on the Enterprise Lot (W Cabarrus/McDowell/Gale St) in a long time. An “Administrative Alternative” request just came through and has renderings and more. Unfortunate the DX-20-SH doesn’t look like it’ll get very well used.

Link to the PDF here.

If this does get traction and permits are pulled, this may need to be split out to it’s own topic.

8 Likes

Actually looks like 12 floors. Could be worse. Could definitely be better. I’ll take 179 more hotel rooms DTR no matter what color they are. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was just reading the PDF in detail and couldn’t help but laugh at some of the regulations.

UDO Section 3.3.3 which requires a minimum 15- foot stepback between the 3rd story and the 7th story for those building elevations along public right-of-way.
-Response: The intent of the building massing regulations is to manage the impact of tall buildings to avoid a canyon effect, and to provide access to light and air at street level.

I believe this project is still on GO, just getting responses back from the city.

Also says 13 stories

4 Likes

I like the massing, at least. Those first few floors (I’m assuming it’s structured parking) have a warehouse vibe to them.

1 Like

The word monolith pops to mind.
Not architecturally striking but it sure as heck beats a surface parking lot any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

5 Likes

The lower mass looks like our classic parking plinth, at least this one is screened. I don’t care for the materials on the lower portion - and would prefer the brick we saw in early renditions. Agree, more rooms/less surface parking lots is a net plus even if the building is blaaaa.

1 Like