Downtown hotels

Just build it. Don’t even care about the ugly diaper of a parking structure that occupies 3/4th of the pedestrian sight experience.

4 Likes

It’s exciting to see movement on this. The render is much improved from the more prison/hospital look from earlier.
Wish it had a roof top amenity level. The 10 story Residence Inn has a rooftop bar (pointed the wrong way, doh!). At 12+ stories at this location, views would be great for a high up party floor. But muh $$$

5 Likes

Imagine overlooking the Red Hat Amphitheater! And eventually a great view of the convention center expansion! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The 5th floor pool terrace and bar is on the southeast corner.

I believe it’s actually southwest, right? So actually facing the amphitheater. Might be an interesting view once that’s replaced.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the view be blocked by the L Building / Wake County Parking deck? At least anything on the 5th floor…

I’m going to go ahead and laugh at my own Paint masterpiece.

:rofl:

5 Likes

The plan is rotated. McDowell St is at the bottom.

Ahhhh… it’s where Enterprise currently is… I thought it was across the street from the Wake County Hotel (jail)…

1 Like

I’m showing McDowell on the left and North being properly oriented at the top.

2 Likes

I’m wrong. They show Cabarrus on the bottom. So, yeah the balcony is on the southwest corner.

1 Like

The Courtyard by Marriott (Enterprise Rent-a-car block next to the convention center being discussed above) is on the Appearance Commission agenda for Aug 1 at 4:30 at Raleigh Municipal Building, 222 West Hargett Street, City Council Chamber, Room 201.

7 Likes

Sorry…so bland…thank you for the post though! :grinning:

I actually like it. Such an improvement and needed hotel rooms.

1 Like

Needed hotel rooms! If they built a hotel that looked like the Achdale building I’d still be happy for more hotel rooms. It’s really holding back our convention center business and it is a problem with downtown business that have frequent travelers from out of town.

7 Likes

I’ve seen worse, including some previous versions of this same project. At least the garage pedestal is being treated in a way that continues some of the major lines in the architecture.

1 Like

I don’t know that I’ve seen one of these sets of plans for review that included plans for every single floor of the building. They even show you how the rooms are going to be laid out. For the life of me, I can’t figure out what this one particular shape of furniture is in many of the rooms. It’s the one that has an oval section to it.

2 Likes

Pull out sofa? :couch_and_lamp: :couch_and_lamp:

That’s what I was wondering, but it just doesn’t look like a sofa to me.

This hotel is needed badly. Friday I left a concert at Red Hat and spoke with numerous people walking out of GalaxyCon that were from out of town. Every single person said they had trouble getting rooms downtown and chose elsewhere(Crabtree, north hills etc.) Wraltechwire just posted an article saying 60,000 people attended this weekend, and we hold numerous more of these conventions each year.

6 Likes